May 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Some guys have 80 velocity, some guys have 80 movement. Some guys have 80 lack of impulse control:
Ryan Mattheus will be placed on the disabled list after breaking his right hand Sunday in San Diego, an injury that didn’t occur during the Nationals’ 13-4 loss to the Padres but afterward when the right-hander punched his locker in frustration.
We get one of these every year, it seems. The “punched a locker” thing is always interesting to me. Almost all major league clubhouses have open lockers with, usually, wood sides to them. So while you can picture it as a guy in a high school hallway punching a flimsy piece of aluminum which gives a bit, he’s basically just punching a solid wood wall. Which is S-M-R-T.
The Nats have lost five of seven and have a seriously depleted bullpen at the moment. Stephen Strasburg goes for Washington tonight. The game is only scheduled for nine innings, but it’d be really helpful if he’d give them about 16 this evening.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 1
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)