May 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Some guys have 80 velocity, some guys have 80 movement. Some guys have 80 lack of impulse control:
Ryan Mattheus will be placed on the disabled list after breaking his right hand Sunday in San Diego, an injury that didn’t occur during the Nationals’ 13-4 loss to the Padres but afterward when the right-hander punched his locker in frustration.
We get one of these every year, it seems. The “punched a locker” thing is always interesting to me. Almost all major league clubhouses have open lockers with, usually, wood sides to them. So while you can picture it as a guy in a high school hallway punching a flimsy piece of aluminum which gives a bit, he’s basically just punching a solid wood wall. Which is S-M-R-T.
The Nats have lost five of seven and have a seriously depleted bullpen at the moment. Stephen Strasburg goes for Washington tonight. The game is only scheduled for nine innings, but it’d be really helpful if he’d give them about 16 this evening.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)