May 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Some guys have 80 velocity, some guys have 80 movement. Some guys have 80 lack of impulse control:
Ryan Mattheus will be placed on the disabled list after breaking his right hand Sunday in San Diego, an injury that didn’t occur during the Nationals’ 13-4 loss to the Padres but afterward when the right-hander punched his locker in frustration.
We get one of these every year, it seems. The “punched a locker” thing is always interesting to me. Almost all major league clubhouses have open lockers with, usually, wood sides to them. So while you can picture it as a guy in a high school hallway punching a flimsy piece of aluminum which gives a bit, he’s basically just punching a solid wood wall. Which is S-M-R-T.
The Nats have lost five of seven and have a seriously depleted bullpen at the moment. Stephen Strasburg goes for Washington tonight. The game is only scheduled for nine innings, but it’d be really helpful if he’d give them about 16 this evening.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (103)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)