May 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Some guys have 80 velocity, some guys have 80 movement. Some guys have 80 lack of impulse control:
Ryan Mattheus will be placed on the disabled list after breaking his right hand Sunday in San Diego, an injury that didn’t occur during the Nationals’ 13-4 loss to the Padres but afterward when the right-hander punched his locker in frustration.
We get one of these every year, it seems. The “punched a locker” thing is always interesting to me. Almost all major league clubhouses have open lockers with, usually, wood sides to them. So while you can picture it as a guy in a high school hallway punching a flimsy piece of aluminum which gives a bit, he’s basically just punching a solid wood wall. Which is S-M-R-T.
The Nats have lost five of seven and have a seriously depleted bullpen at the moment. Stephen Strasburg goes for Washington tonight. The game is only scheduled for nine innings, but it’d be really helpful if he’d give them about 16 this evening.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 29
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 55
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)