May 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Jim Johnson being nearly flawless in the closer role played a huge part in the Orioles’ unexpected success last season, but suddenly he’s really struggling.
Johnson converted 35 straight saves from July 30, 2012 to May 13, 2013, during which time he threw 44 innings with a 0.61 ERA. That streak came to an end last Tuesday, as Johnson blew a save against the Padres. His next appearance came Saturday and he blew a save against the Rays. And then his next appearance came last night and he blow a save against the Yankees.
So, to recap: 35 consecutive save chances converted while allowing a grand total of four runs in 44 innings, followed by three consecutive blown saves while allowing eight runs in 2.1 innings. Johnson didn’t seem to have an explanation for his sudden struggles, but manager Buck Showalter indicated to Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com that he’s in no danger of losing the closer gig.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Maybe Houston is totally dysfunctional. But the idea that Porter didn’t know what he was getting into is off base.
Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Preserved the shutout too.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Four Phillies combine for the no-no. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more of these in recent years.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera had just one home run in August. He doubled that today.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Bailey is currently deciding whether to undergo surgery for a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
Jorge Soler is third player in last 100 years with an extra-base hit in each of his first five games
Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Enos Slaughter (1933) and Will Middlebrooks (2012) are the only others.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Acquired from the White Sox on Sunday, Adam Dunn made an instant impact in his A’s debut this afternoon.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Franco got off to a slow start this season, but he has been on a tear in Triple-A since the start of July.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have had at least a share of first place since April 4.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Pacific Coast League MVP is on his way to L.A.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Four pitchers, led by Cole Hamels, who handled six innings of it, combined to no-hit the Atlanta Braves.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
It sounds like Manny is a changed man
Sep 1, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
As the Marlins’ playoff chances fade.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
He was already unofficially shut down. Now it’s all official-like.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Reports of strife between Porter and the front office were apparently right on the nose.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Old Hoss Radbourn is an amateur.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
The Brewers are tied for first place and need a boost.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Maybe Yost should just tell Royals fans the exact number of people he needs in the seats for his team to play at its best.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The A’s were, quite recently, the best team in baseball. Now they’re five back of the Angels.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Well, it’s not his (or his estate’s) house anymore. Likely wasn’t for decades. But if someone wants Jon Voight’s LeBaron, someone will probably buy this, right?
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 25
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 57
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)