May 21, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
Royals catcher Salvador Perez left Monday’s game against the Astros after slamming into the fence in front of the home dugout at Houston’s Minute Maid Park while trying to track down a foul popup.
Perez has been diagnosed with a deep right hip bruise, according to beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, and is not in the Royals’ starting lineup on Tuesday. He’s considered day-to-day.
Perez, 23, is batting .308/.324/.413 with 10 doubles, one home run and 14 RBI in 39 games this season. With great defensive skills and a burgeoning bat, he is considered one of the most promising young players in baseball. George Kottaras is filling in for him behind the plate on Tuesday night.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)