May 21, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
Royals catcher Salvador Perez left Monday’s game against the Astros after slamming into the fence in front of the home dugout at Houston’s Minute Maid Park while trying to track down a foul popup.
Perez has been diagnosed with a deep right hip bruise, according to beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, and is not in the Royals’ starting lineup on Tuesday. He’s considered day-to-day.
Perez, 23, is batting .308/.324/.413 with 10 doubles, one home run and 14 RBI in 39 games this season. With great defensive skills and a burgeoning bat, he is considered one of the most promising young players in baseball. George Kottaras is filling in for him behind the plate on Tuesday night.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)