May 21, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
The NFL just granted Super Bowls L and LI to
San Carlos Santa Clara, California and Houston, respectively. Also in the running was Miami, but it was shafted. Why? Because neither Miami nor the State of Florida would pony up taxpayer dollars for upgrades to the Sun Life Stadium. Why wouldn’t they? Florio gives the overview, but you know it already:
Still, with the Marlins debacle and the current mood against what has been described persuasively as “welfare for billionaires,” the citizens and politicians have a hard time seeing the investment of public dollars as a benefit to the region.
If I lived in Florida I’d say “good.” But I figure a lot of people in Florida probably wanted the Super Bowl to come back there for whatever reason. Either way, I think it’s inescapable that the public ire and anti-politician backlash that resulted from Loria building Marlins Park had a lot to do with all of this.
Not that anyone’s learning from it. Based on my Twitter feed, all of the stakeholders in the NFL are venting their fury at the government, and in turn, the taxpayers, for not ponying up. And in doing so there is no shortage of arrogance and a sense of entitlement about all of this on the part of the NFL.
So I guess I’m torn. Screw Jeff Loria, but man, he really has angered a lot of NFL people. Let’s call it a draw and go home.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)