May 21, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
The NFL just granted Super Bowls L and LI to
San Carlos Santa Clara, California and Houston, respectively. Also in the running was Miami, but it was shafted. Why? Because neither Miami nor the State of Florida would pony up taxpayer dollars for upgrades to the Sun Life Stadium. Why wouldn’t they? Florio gives the overview, but you know it already:
Still, with the Marlins debacle and the current mood against what has been described persuasively as “welfare for billionaires,” the citizens and politicians have a hard time seeing the investment of public dollars as a benefit to the region.
If I lived in Florida I’d say “good.” But I figure a lot of people in Florida probably wanted the Super Bowl to come back there for whatever reason. Either way, I think it’s inescapable that the public ire and anti-politician backlash that resulted from Loria building Marlins Park had a lot to do with all of this.
Not that anyone’s learning from it. Based on my Twitter feed, all of the stakeholders in the NFL are venting their fury at the government, and in turn, the taxpayers, for not ponying up. And in doing so there is no shortage of arrogance and a sense of entitlement about all of this on the part of the NFL.
So I guess I’m torn. Screw Jeff Loria, but man, he really has angered a lot of NFL people. Let’s call it a draw and go home.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)