May 21, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
The NFL just granted Super Bowls L and LI to
San Carlos Santa Clara, California and Houston, respectively. Also in the running was Miami, but it was shafted. Why? Because neither Miami nor the State of Florida would pony up taxpayer dollars for upgrades to the Sun Life Stadium. Why wouldn’t they? Florio gives the overview, but you know it already:
Still, with the Marlins debacle and the current mood against what has been described persuasively as “welfare for billionaires,” the citizens and politicians have a hard time seeing the investment of public dollars as a benefit to the region.
If I lived in Florida I’d say “good.” But I figure a lot of people in Florida probably wanted the Super Bowl to come back there for whatever reason. Either way, I think it’s inescapable that the public ire and anti-politician backlash that resulted from Loria building Marlins Park had a lot to do with all of this.
Not that anyone’s learning from it. Based on my Twitter feed, all of the stakeholders in the NFL are venting their fury at the government, and in turn, the taxpayers, for not ponying up. And in doing so there is no shortage of arrogance and a sense of entitlement about all of this on the part of the NFL.
So I guess I’m torn. Screw Jeff Loria, but man, he really has angered a lot of NFL people. Let’s call it a draw and go home.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)