May 21, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
The NFL just granted Super Bowls L and LI to
San Carlos Santa Clara, California and Houston, respectively. Also in the running was Miami, but it was shafted. Why? Because neither Miami nor the State of Florida would pony up taxpayer dollars for upgrades to the Sun Life Stadium. Why wouldn’t they? Florio gives the overview, but you know it already:
Still, with the Marlins debacle and the current mood against what has been described persuasively as “welfare for billionaires,” the citizens and politicians have a hard time seeing the investment of public dollars as a benefit to the region.
If I lived in Florida I’d say “good.” But I figure a lot of people in Florida probably wanted the Super Bowl to come back there for whatever reason. Either way, I think it’s inescapable that the public ire and anti-politician backlash that resulted from Loria building Marlins Park had a lot to do with all of this.
Not that anyone’s learning from it. Based on my Twitter feed, all of the stakeholders in the NFL are venting their fury at the government, and in turn, the taxpayers, for not ponying up. And in doing so there is no shortage of arrogance and a sense of entitlement about all of this on the part of the NFL.
So I guess I’m torn. Screw Jeff Loria, but man, he really has angered a lot of NFL people. Let’s call it a draw and go home.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)