May 21, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
The NFL just granted Super Bowls L and LI to
San Carlos Santa Clara, California and Houston, respectively. Also in the running was Miami, but it was shafted. Why? Because neither Miami nor the State of Florida would pony up taxpayer dollars for upgrades to the Sun Life Stadium. Why wouldn’t they? Florio gives the overview, but you know it already:
Still, with the Marlins debacle and the current mood against what has been described persuasively as “welfare for billionaires,” the citizens and politicians have a hard time seeing the investment of public dollars as a benefit to the region.
If I lived in Florida I’d say “good.” But I figure a lot of people in Florida probably wanted the Super Bowl to come back there for whatever reason. Either way, I think it’s inescapable that the public ire and anti-politician backlash that resulted from Loria building Marlins Park had a lot to do with all of this.
Not that anyone’s learning from it. Based on my Twitter feed, all of the stakeholders in the NFL are venting their fury at the government, and in turn, the taxpayers, for not ponying up. And in doing so there is no shortage of arrogance and a sense of entitlement about all of this on the part of the NFL.
So I guess I’m torn. Screw Jeff Loria, but man, he really has angered a lot of NFL people. Let’s call it a draw and go home.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 26
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)