May 22, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
He didn’t actually use those words, but I kinda wish he did because I have a lot of fun with the “robot umps now” thing on Twitter. But Brenly does tell Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that he thinks the game is too fast, the technology is too good and the calls are too important for baseball to put up with continuing to miss them:
“We’ve got a QuesTec system or whatever they call it now (Pitch-f/x) that’s foolproof. You’re going to get every pitch correct. … I just think in any sport, especially this sport, any time you can eliminate mistakes, whether it’s with technology or different positioning or whatever you can do, I think we owe it to the game to do it.”
…The way Brenly sees it, using the technology available shouldn’t slow the game down. In fact, it might speed things up.
“We sit up in the booth every night and a play happens, and within 15 seconds we know whether it was right or wrong,” he said.
I think he’s right generally. My understanding of QuesTec and similar technology, however, is that it’s not instantaneous and that, as such, you couldn’t exactly go to robot ball and strikes calls now unless you feel like waiting several seconds to hear what each pitch was.
But he’s not wrong about the direction of technology and that fact that we can get most of the calls right now if we wanted to. Baseball just doesn’t want to.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)