May 22, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
David Freese suffered a gash on his right thumb Sunday when he lunged to tag Norichika Aoki on the left leg during a rundown along the third base line. It was only a minor cut, but he got stitches after the game and has not made an appearance since.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Freese is out of the Cardinals’ starting lineup on Wednesday night against the Padres for a third straight day.
Freese has been able to take pregame batting practice over these past three nights and is not in any sort of pain, but there is swelling along the area that needed stitches and it is preventing him from getting a good grip on the baseball. He is presumably available to pinch hit on Wednesday night and will aim to play in Friday night’s series opener at Dodger Stadium. The Cardinals are off on Thursday.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a back injury and struggled offensively when he returned. He had been showing signs of life here in May, but this extended absence could throw him off again.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)