May 22, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
David Freese suffered a gash on his right thumb Sunday when he lunged to tag Norichika Aoki on the left leg during a rundown along the third base line. It was only a minor cut, but he got stitches after the game and has not made an appearance since.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Freese is out of the Cardinals’ starting lineup on Wednesday night against the Padres for a third straight day.
Freese has been able to take pregame batting practice over these past three nights and is not in any sort of pain, but there is swelling along the area that needed stitches and it is preventing him from getting a good grip on the baseball. He is presumably available to pinch hit on Wednesday night and will aim to play in Friday night’s series opener at Dodger Stadium. The Cardinals are off on Thursday.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a back injury and struggled offensively when he returned. He had been showing signs of life here in May, but this extended absence could throw him off again.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 35
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 4
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)