May 22, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
David Freese suffered a gash on his right thumb Sunday when he lunged to tag Norichika Aoki on the left leg during a rundown along the third base line. It was only a minor cut, but he got stitches after the game and has not made an appearance since.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Freese is out of the Cardinals’ starting lineup on Wednesday night against the Padres for a third straight day.
Freese has been able to take pregame batting practice over these past three nights and is not in any sort of pain, but there is swelling along the area that needed stitches and it is preventing him from getting a good grip on the baseball. He is presumably available to pinch hit on Wednesday night and will aim to play in Friday night’s series opener at Dodger Stadium. The Cardinals are off on Thursday.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a back injury and struggled offensively when he returned. He had been showing signs of life here in May, but this extended absence could throw him off again.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)