May 22, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
David Freese suffered a gash on his right thumb Sunday when he lunged to tag Norichika Aoki on the left leg during a rundown along the third base line. It was only a minor cut, but he got stitches after the game and has not made an appearance since.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Freese is out of the Cardinals’ starting lineup on Wednesday night against the Padres for a third straight day.
Freese has been able to take pregame batting practice over these past three nights and is not in any sort of pain, but there is swelling along the area that needed stitches and it is preventing him from getting a good grip on the baseball. He is presumably available to pinch hit on Wednesday night and will aim to play in Friday night’s series opener at Dodger Stadium. The Cardinals are off on Thursday.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a back injury and struggled offensively when he returned. He had been showing signs of life here in May, but this extended absence could throw him off again.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)