Jacoby Ellsbury: “You see what happens when I get going”

May 22, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Jacoby Ellsbury AP

Jacoby Ellsbury is hitting just .242 with a .307 on-base percentage, but Red Sox manager John Farrell has stuck with him in the leadoff spot.

However, the manager did admit to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he’s considering shifting Ellsbury down in the batting order. For his part Ellsbury thinks that would be a mistake, saying: “You’ve seen. You see what happens when I get going.”

Here’s the problem with that line of thinking: Ellsbury has hit just .260 with a .310 on-base percentage in 119 games since the beginning of last season. So yes, while he had a huge 2011 season and is certainly capable of being an excellent leadoff hitter, it’s been quite a while since he was an asset atop the lineup and the Red Sox aren’t lacking in other leadoff options.

1. flamethrower101 - May 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

“You see what happens when I get going” He’s right actually. We all know what happens when he finally gets going…he gets hurt.

• 18thstreet - May 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

He played with cracked ribs. I don’t understand how anyone can question his toughness.

• crispybasil - May 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

2010: Ellsbury collides with Beltre while ranging for a pop-up and cracks four ribs. 2012: Ellsbury tries to slide into second and the shortstop falls onto his shoulder, separating it in the process.

• paperlions - May 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Saying someone gets hurt a lot isn’t questioning their toughness. He DOES get hurt a lot.

2. proudlycanadian - May 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

“When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” Not sure where they go, but they do go somewhere.

• Kevin S. - May 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

• proudlycanadian - May 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Go tell that to the Japanese.

• Kevin S. - May 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

You *have* seen Animal House, right?

• proudlycanadian - May 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

For some reason, I never watched Animal house. I guess it was because I had no desire to relive my undergrad years.

• polonelmeagrejr - May 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM

that’s right up there with you can’t spell F#ck You” without a U.

3. indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

When I was a student, I remember my English professor telling me to show the reader rather than tell the reader. Show me, Ellsbury. Don’t tell me.

4. proudlycanadian - May 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

He is a pending Free Agent and he is expected to be going to a different team next season.

5. rickdobrydney - May 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

What a delusional, babied brat —- who unfortunately will be a rich delusional, babied brat come the offseason.

6. tfbuckfutter - May 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Let’s see:

158 games played in 2011: 32 HRs, OPS+146

349 games played before 2010: 20 HRs, OPS+93
    119 games played after 2011: 5 HRs, OPS+79

Well, clearly 2011 was the rule and not the exception.

Remember when Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs in a season?

• proudlycanadian - May 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Some people thought that Brady Anderson was on steroids when he hit the 50 home runs. So far, I do not think that anybody has made a similar comment about Ellsbury.

• jwbiii - May 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Shocker: Player has career year at age 27!

• yahmule - May 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Anderson also showed up to spring training looking like someone had shoved an airhose up his ass.

7. yahmule - May 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

He is injury prone, but he got the soft label from Kevin Youkilis of all people.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3415)