May 22, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
When the Cardinals placed left-hander Jaime Garcia on the disabled list last week they feared that he’d need shoulder surgery and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that he’ll go under the knife.
Garcia has a long history of arm problems and the possibility of shoulder surgery has been looming since last year, when he opted for rest and rehab in an attempt to avoid an operation.
And he actually managed to pitch well for nine starts this season, throwing 55 innings with a 3.58 ERA and 43/15 K/BB ratio. No word yet on an official return timetable, but it’s safe to assume he’s done for 2013 at the very least.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)