Joe Maddon reverses himself on Yunel Escobar’s gesticulations

May 22, 2013, 10:00 AM EST

Tampa Bay Rays v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

On Monday Joe Maddon said he wasn’t pleased with Yunel Escobar making the “safe” sign as he crossed home plate following a home run in Monday’s loss. Last night he changed his mind on that. From Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times:

“Some people point to the sky, he shows a safe sign. For me I love the way he is. I want him to remain the way he is. He did nothing wrong. … People that want to say that he did, that’s a fabrication on somebody’s part based on your own personal judgments, period … I’m never going to attempt to subtract from his celebratory manner.”

I guess when you have a closer that shoots imaginary arrows after each game it’s kinda hard to play the “we don’t do that sort of thing” card.

1. deathmonkey41 - May 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Melky Cabrerra? Do you mean Yunel Escobar?

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thus we have the first time ever someone implied that Yunel Escobar and Albert Pujols are on the same branch of the respect tree.

3. tampa2betterthanyou - May 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

All sorts of FAIL in this “report”.

• polonelmeagrejr - May 23, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Losing – for learning how to speak from watching sitcoms.

4. historiophiliac - May 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’m really partial to the little celebratory thing that Miggy and Fielder do — and that’s completely unbiased, of course. It’s cute how they are with each other. It seems to be a serious bromance.

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yeah…word on the street is they are sweet on each other.
      Heh…who am I to judge. To each their own.

• heyblueyoustink - May 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Maybe they’re really frenemies and no one knows.

• historiophiliac - May 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

They’re not Phillies.

5. heyblueyoustink - May 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

He used replay on himself. Wonder if he huddled in a hallway to view the footage?

6. deathmonkey41 - May 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I’m torn on player celebrations because hey, it’s a freakin’ game afterall. But at the same time, I’m partial to that Barry Sanders/ Mariano Rivera school of “Act like you’ve been there before”

• indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

To be fair, Yunel likely hadn’t been there before. He’s been awful.

• beachnbaseball - May 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Exactly. Act like you’ve been there before. I’m tired of the invisible arrow shot by Rodney; the shirt tugging by Soriano, Escobar’s safe sign, crooked baseball caps and all the other garbage that goes on.

And as for Maddon; Hey, Joe. Grow a pair and stand your ground. On Intentional Talk you were asked about it by Millar and Rose and you said, “I still want to talk to him about the reaction after the home run. And I’m certain you’re not going to see that again.”

Way to wuss out, Joe.

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Yeah…I am of the Barry Sanders/Jim Brown/Edgerrin James/Mariano Rivera like of thinking Monkey. Not so much “act like you have been there before.” Although I will admit you should act like that.
      But more so…you were SUPPOSED TO SCORE. That is why you are on the team.

7. js20011041 - May 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Good old Joe Maddon, trying to be intentionally quirky again. Yesterday, he had a perfectly rational judgement, that Escobar looks foolish celebrating a homerun, while losing the game. Once he thought about it however, he decided, “you know what, that’s just not contrarian enough.” Further, how exactly can someone have a “fabrication on somebody’s part based on your own personal judgments?” A person’s judgement isn’t a fact based claim, it’s an opinion, by default. If people decide that Escobar looks like an ass-clown celebrating a homerun, while losing, they aren’t making some kind of almighty judgement, sent down from the heavens. It’s purely an opinion.

• indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I hear the Tibetan Monk Self Immolators have a great up and coming young pitching staff. You should check ‘em out.

• historiophiliac - May 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Not to change the subject but Torii tweeted today that he also is going to donate $1K/HR to tornado relief. I’m not weakening though. No.

• indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Until further notice, stay strong, but I really have hope that Torii will change and support a teammate no matter his orientation. In the immortal words of Rocky Balboa, “I guess what I’m trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change.”

Then again, I am a Damned Fool™.

8. indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

It’s a bit showboat-y for my taste, but as long as he keeps hitting home runs, I’ll somehow find it in me to forgive him.

• js20011041 - May 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You know, I had the same thought about Josh Lueke. A little to rapey for my tastes, but if he keeps pitching well, somehow I’ll find it in me to forgive him.

And yes, I’m going to keep bringing this up as long as this team employs a rapist. Sports fans hate opposing teams for all manner of trivial reasons. They don’t like the city. They don’t like that that team has a large payroll. They don’t like certian players. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, or “holier than thou”, to root for an organization to suffer failure if they disregard basic human decency when selecting their employees.

• indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Wow, we’re equating showboating with rape? Your logic is dizzying.

No, I do not forgive Lueke his past crime. It’s also not my place to forgive him. His victim has.

• indaburg - May 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

And yes, I’ll keep going on about this as long as you keep using fallacious sanctimonious arguments. So much for agreeing to disagree.

9. randygnyc - May 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’m old school and prefer muted on field celebrations- exceptions of course are milestone moments, historical happenings and post season achievements.

I understand that times have changed and players are more freely marketing themselves. It yields potential off season income opportunities. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

• pesky99 - May 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I too am old school and believe in the more muted celebrations and agree with your exceptions you listed.

I can’t help but to feel like it is a form of disrespect and “sticking it to ya” when this stuff happens. I really like when the players are mature, and just keep their composure for when they get in the dugout or after the game down in the lockeroom.
      The shooting arrows, pulling of the jerseys, crooked baseball caps, tattoos crawling out of the arm and neck holes of the jersey, calling yourself safe at home or at first, long or enormous amount of hair (and dreadlocks), all of these things need to stop or go away. I would like to see baseball become more domesticated and distinquished like it was back in the Ted Williams/ Mickey Mantle days of baseball.

And as far as Joe Madden, he has proven to me several times that he is a big phony and enjoys getting attention. He wants to be the player’s “best friend” rather than do the right thing and be the boss or manager- he doesn’t want to be the bad guy that sometimes the manager has to be for the betterment of the team.

10. 13arod - May 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

it isn’t showing disrespect don’t see the issue

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4468)
  2. M. Kemp (3603)
  3. M. Cabrera (2860)
  4. M. Morse (2536)
  5. J. Kang (2407)
  1. J. Upton (2383)
  2. C. Headley (2142)
  3. A. Rios (2130)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1876)
  5. J. Peavy (1802)