Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper

May 22, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT

Rafael Soriano AP

Remember how Rafael Soriano called out Bryce Harper for blowing last night’s game by missing a catch in right field? Not surprisingly the Nationals closer took it all back today, telling James Wagner of the Washington Post that the comments came during what he thought was an off-the-record conversation with a reporter.

Here’s more from Soriano:

I tried to do my job and I didn’t do it. It wasn’t an error. He was in the position and I threw the pitch I shouldn’t have. And that’s what happened. And after we finished talking, I made the mistake of saying that to [the reporter]. And he put it in there with what I said.

I understand that he’s been hurt and it’s hard and he’s young. He’s just been playing. I’ll try next time to be better and have a better game. …  I don’t want him to think that I’m blaming him. I’m not like that.

Of course, what he really means is “I’m not like that” when I know something I’m saying could be seen by other people, because Soriano isn’t denying all the stuff he said or even suggesting he was misquoted.

1. flamethrower101 - May 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

“the comments came during what he thought was an off-the-record conversation with a reporter.” Suuure. Because in this new modern day of technology, nothing is on-record. This guy is a dick and it’s no surprise he’s managed to alienate fanbases from two teams and has a great start on a third.

• forsch31 - May 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Actually, that has nothing to do with new technology. The only time something is off-the-record with a reporter is if you tell him/her that it’s off the record. You’re talking to a journalist who’s covering your team; what do you thing is going to happen?

2. Kevin Gillman - May 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

In 10 years, Bryce Harper will still have a flourishing career, maybe a ring or 2, but certainly will play the game hard. He’ll overtake Rafael Soriano as a superstar.

• flamethrower101 - May 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Since when the hell was Rafael Soriano ever a superstar?

• Kevin Gillman - May 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Okay, let me rephrase that, Bryce will be a major superstar, and we won’t even remember Soriano.

• badintent - May 23, 2013 at 2:57 AM

So glad the Yankees sent this POS packing. in the class department , he could NEVER carry Mo’s jock.

• 4cornersfan - May 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

From my memory when Soriano was with the Yankees he pretty much kept his mouth shut and said the right things when he did talk, and there was never a serious controversy about his relations with other team members. Is my memory getting bad with age or does class really rub off?

3. kjericho43 - May 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Not cool, man. No one plays harder than that dude. Soriano needs to shut his face.

4. ryand17 - May 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

From everything I’ve read, the guy seems like a jerk but but he’s also a hired gun on a reeling team that is supposed to be a contender. I’m getting sick of jumping all over these guys for saying anything negative when they are understandably frustrated. In this case, he didn’t even say anything inaccurate or offensive, just critical. Let’s save our outrage for guys saying things that are downright offensive or actually performing immoral acts.

Also, as Phillies fan I warmly welcome this steep decline and I look forward to seeing some “Natitude” this weekend. I can’t wait to see what Nat’s stadium looks like as the Phils pass the Nats in the standings this weekend.

• flamethrower101 - May 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

The thing about Soriano is his perceived lack of accountability. Yes, venting when you’re frustrated is understandable and everybody does it. And yes, what he said may have been entirely true. But from the way he says it, it sounds like he is placing all of the blame on Harper rather than acknowledging that he was the one that made the bad pitch.

5. sumerduckman - May 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

“It’s not what he said, it’s how he said it. That’s the issue I think people are having (myself included).”

Yep, if you have something to say to a teammate, say it behind closed doors.

6. senioreditor2 - May 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Harpers leading the team in BA, Hr’s and OBP, second in RBI’s and he’s F’ing 20 years old. He’s not to blame for the teams issues. Desmond and Zimmerman have a combined 15 errors already and the Nationals are the 30th worst hitting team in baseball.

7. ditto65 - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don’t think you can take things like that back. Like nude pics on the interweb, his words will live forever.

8. hijackthemic - May 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM

You don’t betray your own teammate’s trust and throw him under the bus to a reporter. Not to mention how wrong his take was in this situation. With the ridiculously overpriced contract he got from the Nationals you’d think he’d be appreciative enough to not act like a clubhouse troublemaker.

9. mqcarpenter - May 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I understand his frustration but Harper was not playing that shallow and that ball was absolutely plastered.

10. vader000 - May 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM