The NL All-Star starting lineup will outshine the AL’s

May 22, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT

Justin Upton AP

OK, so there hasn’t been any actual All-Star ballot results released yet. That doesn’t mean I can’t do my fun little exercise here. What follows is my best guess at the All-Star Game starting lineups.

National League

CF Andrew McCutchen
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Joey Votto
LF Justin Upton
RF Bryce Harper
3B David Wright
DH Carlos Gonzalez
C Buster Posey
SS Troy Tulowitzki

Ryan Braun and Paul Goldschmidt would have great cases as the designated hitter, too, but since the lineup is already righty heavy, Gonzalez makes more sense, I think. Shin-Soo Choo will also be a possibility if he keeps this up.

American League

LF Mike Trout
2B Robinson Cano
3B Miguel Cabrera
1B Prince Fielder
RF Jose Bautista
DH David Ortiz
CF Adam Jones
C Joe Mauer
SS Jhonny Peralta

The top of the American League’s lineup matches up fine with the NL’s, probably even bettering it. But the bottom doesn’t compare. Of course, I’m just guessing at Jones. Trout would seem to be a lock as a starting outfielder, but Bautista and Jones aren’t. Among those who could factor in are Nelson Cruz, Alex Gordon, Yoenis Cespedes, Torii Hunter and Alex Rios.

The NL also has an unfair advantage here in that it gets to pick its DH, while the AL has to live with whoever is voted on. That’s not a problem if Ortiz stays healthy, but it means Chris Davis, who ranks second in the AL in OPS and RBI and first in homers, gets ripped off. There’s also no place for Evan Longoria.

Shortstop is the real problem. With Jose Reyes and Derek Jeter hurt, Peralta has been the best of the rest, though maybe Elvis Andrus will get voted in over him.

1. cocheese000 - May 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM

The MLB all star game voting is a joke. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see jeter be in the top 5 voting for ss.

2. tfbuckfutter - May 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Jeter @ shortstop. Bank on it.

He can even play with the Gold Glove he’s already assured of winning (although, in defense of him winning a GG this year….his defense has actually improved with him being unable to play).

• miketreedy - May 23, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Well he hasn’t had an error all year. Pretty damn good I would say.

• Detroit Michael - May 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Jeter hasn’t won a Gold Glove since 2010, so let’s wait until the voters award him with the 2013 Gold Glove before we accuse them of incompetence again.

3. rgledz - May 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Matt…….Carlos Santana over Joe Mauer??? Seriously?? C’mon man. Not even a mention of Mauer makes it even worse. Time to reevaluate!

• Matthew Pouliot - May 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Yes, it’s entirely possible it’ll be Mauer over Santana and Molina over Posey in the NL. I wasn’t going to break down every position, at least not yet.

• Matthew Pouliot - May 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Actually, no, I’ll reconsider. It’ll almost certainly be Mauer over Santana. Changed it now.

4. kelshannon19 - May 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM

How about Jose Altive, Dustin Pedroia, and Ian Kinsler?

5. gosuhgo - May 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Man I was really bitching about Jhonny this offseason, I can’t believe how well he’s playing now.

6. brewcrewfan54 - May 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM

While McCuthchen is a great player as far as numbers go Carlos Gomez is better. Gogo wont get voted in but right now its true.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Not to mention Jean Segura’s numbers are pretty much as good as Tulo’s. obviously I have bias though.

• malbrecht4 - May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Segura is a future all-star. I’ve never seen a better defensive SS on the Brewers ever. His offense will only get better, he knows what he’s doing in the box. He’s good with 2 strikes and always tries to go with the pitch. A keeper

• malbrecht4 - May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

That’s a perfect example of why ONLY looking at numbers is foolishness. Gomez can cover alot of ground in CF and has a strong arm. Watching him hit and run the bases is torture. He tries to pull every pitch, no matter where it’s located, what the count is, what the situation is etc.. He gets picked off or caught between bases too much. I would trade him now while his average is still high. Maybe they can get a good starting pitcher for him.

7. rgledz - May 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM

You’re good people Matt. Respect!

8. rhmurphy - May 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I know players today are just as good as they were ten years ago, but aesthetically I miss all-star lineups where seemingly everyone has 40-HR power.

9. ozael7 - May 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM

How in the world do you not have Adrian Gonzalez and James Loney. Nice safe pick, be one of the popular kids lineup……

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I agree. Picking the best 1B in each league is the safe pick. He should have picked someone that clearly isn’t as good.

• jm91rs - May 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Well, Joey Votto is better right now than Adrian Gonzalez, and Prince Fielder is better than Loney. That’s how.

Plus, they’re more popular, and the all star game starters are all based on popularity.

• sportsfan18 - May 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Joey Votta through yesterday 5/22

.358 average, leading the NL.
      More walks than strikeouts
      .484 On base percentage – leading all of the major leagues by quite a healthy margin
      .545 Slugging percentage – within top 10 of Nat League
      1.030 OPS which leads the Nat League

Adrian Gonzalez through yesterday 5/22

.309 average
      More strikeouts than walks
      .363 On base percentage – quite a bit lower than Votto
      .443 Slugging percentage – again, quite a bit lower than Votto
      .806 OPS – not even close to Votto

Gonzo is having a very good year so far, very good but it isn’t even close to what Votto is doing, to this point.

10. ozael7 - May 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM

And that’s not even mentioned Carl Crawford and the shortstop in Atlanta. Let me guess Doc Halladay is your pick for sp in the nl

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Crawford hasn’t been one of the 5 best LF in the NL this year. Simmons has hit like shit this year. The defense is nice, but other guys can both rake and play D….again, for an AS game, Simmons shouldn’t be among the top 5 choices in the NL.

• biasedhomer - May 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The SS in Atlanta is getting no where near the All Star game.

Segura, Tulo, Cabrera, Desmond, Rollins, and Castro are all having better seasons

11. ddjesus - May 23, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I hope Gomez and Segura get more serious looks in the future. Tulo is having about the same year as Jean Segura but McCutchen is getting in on his name this year.

• malbrecht4 - May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

McCutchen is the best CF in the NL by far. Going by numbers 1/4 into the season is silly.

• jm91rs - May 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Well the game is only 1/2 way through the season so there’s not much more time to put up numbers to justify an all star selection. Of course popularity will win out for someone like McCutchen.

12. 13arod - May 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM

fielder an’t hitting loony from tampa is in the tip 5 in batting average

13. tc4306 - May 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I’m a Jays fan and still I’d take an Alex (Gordon or Rios) ahead of Bautista. And wouldn’t it be something if Vernon Wells made the team?

14. jayscarpa - May 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM

A Jones should bat 2nd; Move Cano to 5th; Bautista to 7th

15. rockthered1286 - May 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

This is my major gripe with the ASG and name recognition being the sole reason for voting as opposed to actual skill:

Prince Fielder- .276BA 9HR 39RBI
    Chris Davis- .329BA 14HR 43RBI

And Chris will probably be 3rd or 4th in 1B votes for the AL. Weak sauce bro.

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I guess it depends on how you view the ASG. If you view it as a reward for guys that had a good 2-3 months, then you think guys like Loney should get serious consideration. If you think it is a game for Star players that perform year after year, then those guys should get heavier consideration. Davis is having a great year and will be picked for the team based on that….and seriously, those are the numbers you want to use to support a case?

• rockthered1286 - May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I cant call it rewarding a guy with a few good months- Davis hit .270’s with 33 HR and 87 RBI’s last year and went under the radar. This early season is just an extension of last season, with the major exception that his K’s are down and BB’s are up this year, so it’s not just a flash in the pan. And realistically the point of the ASG is to determine home field advantage in the WS right? So wouldn’t you want the guys playing hot NOW as opposed to rewarding somebody who has a handful of great season under their belt but is not the hottest bat or best defensively (I’d take Davis’ defense over Prince anyday) right now? The only justification I can find against this is thinking that voting now for a guy to play a game in July and hope he’s still hot is questionable compared to a guy with a history of being a better hitter. Maybe it’s drinking the Orange Koolaid here, but I can foresee Davis getting shafted here, along with Manny Machado (who will only be hurt by serious 3B talent in the AL). The rest of this O’s team is good not great- Wieters, Hardy, Markakis are all solid but not ASG worthy compared to their peers in my opinion. But the Davis one kills me.

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I really don’t see any way Davis isn’t on the team. He’s had the best 7 weeks of any 1B in MLB and even if he slides a little, there is no way he is any worse than the 2nd best AL 1B…besides Fielder, there isn’t a “name” 1B playing well in the AL….and Davis/Fielder are blowing away every other 1B in the AL so far.

• rockthered1286 - May 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

And to be honest.. not much for stats. I know my basics but I’ve never invested time into the in depth stuff. Not my cup of tea. If you have some number to sway me the other way show me! I’m more than open to it, I just view the voting as PRINCE FIELDER!!! or chris davis… and realyl don’t think 90% of the voters look at numbers just names.

16. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

No doubt Bryce Harper should be selected… but being that it’s an exhibition game and there’s a DH for this one, maybe you put Carlos Gonzalez in the field so Harper doesn’t have to play RF? It might save his life.

17. joshsorensen34 - May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Don’t be surprised if the jerkoff Giants fans screw David Wright over and flood the ballot boxes for that fat bastard they call a 3rd baseman.

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Josh:
      If I didn’t know any better…I would think you aren’t a big fan of the Giants…or Giants fans for that matter.

• snowyphile - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Yep.

• snowyphile - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Speaking of stuffing the ballot box, I voted the Astros for the AL team. Then Ankiel went and switched leagues.

18. keepthisrealbro - May 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Sounds like you are a bitter mets fan Josh mad, take some time out of your day from hating everything that isn;t about the mets and jets, and compare sandoval vs wright stats. nearly identical

19. snowyphile - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Sandoval is likely to get the most votes for 3B.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic