May 22, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
OK, so there hasn’t been any actual All-Star ballot results released yet. That doesn’t mean I can’t do my fun little exercise here. What follows is my best guess at the All-Star Game starting lineups.
Ryan Braun and Paul Goldschmidt would have great cases as the designated hitter, too, but since the lineup is already righty heavy, Gonzalez makes more sense, I think. Shin-Soo Choo will also be a possibility if he keeps this up.
The top of the American League’s lineup matches up fine with the NL’s, probably even bettering it. But the bottom doesn’t compare. Of course, I’m just guessing at Jones. Trout would seem to be a lock as a starting outfielder, but Bautista and Jones aren’t. Among those who could factor in are Nelson Cruz, Alex Gordon, Yoenis Cespedes, Torii Hunter and Alex Rios.
The NL also has an unfair advantage here in that it gets to pick its DH, while the AL has to live with whoever is voted on. That’s not a problem if Ortiz stays healthy, but it means Chris Davis, who ranks second in the AL in OPS and RBI and first in homers, gets ripped off. There’s also no place for Evan Longoria.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)