The Twins and Braves Twitter feeds are having fun today

May 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

Even though they met in the World Series nearly 22 years ago, the Twins-Braves series still stirs up some emotions in partisans of each team. Mostly Braves fans, to be honest, as we are bitter and angry and all of that stuff even more than two decades later. Freakin’ Kent Hrbek. Freakin’ Kirby Puckett. Freakin’ Lonnie Smith. Heck, on some days we’d even take the Game 7 loss OK if it didn’t form the basis for, like, 89% of Jack Morris’ Hall of Fame case.  Just bad all around.

Their series this week continued some of that sentiment, with the Twins taunting the Braves by hanging a Kent Hrbek jersey from the press box, with the Twins Twitter taunting the Braves about it:

After today’s 8-3 win by the Braves, the Atlanta Twitter feed taunted back:

The Twins fired back:

Fine. Enjoy your ancient World Series trophy. [kicks dirt, curses Hrbek, Puckett, Smith and Morris, takes solace in the fact that his baseball team doesn't stink]

1. baseballicious - May 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

ahahahaha! I missed all that. I needed a good laugh. Thanks, craig that was awesome.

2. ezthinking - May 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

You do realize May 21 when it was hung was Hrbek’s birthday right?

Bobby Cox’s as well. Not sure where his tribute was…. Maybe on the floor of the restroom?

• kirbyslefteye - May 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Actually, Danny Gladden hung it up Monday May 20th and kept it there the whole series.

• ezthinking - May 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Even better.

3. chipperforever - May 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I’m pretty sure the Braves PR/Front Office can include an “El Oso Blanco” Jersey on the Delta flight out of Atlanta tonight for the Twins

4. albertmn - May 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

That is a beautiful shiny trophy, no matter its age.

FYI – It was Dan Gladden and the radio broadcast folks that hung the jersey. They showed it on the local TV broadcast of the game last night.

5. Kevin Gillman - May 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Craig, at least YOUR team has a WS trophy. I still remember the 1995 WS when Eric Gregg gift wrapped your trophy for you calling those pitches Tom Glavine threw strikes, even if it was 20 feet away from the strike zone.

• chris42424 - May 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Eric Gregg didn’t umpire in the 1995 World Series.

Fail.

• realgone2 - May 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Beat me to it. Gregg was nowhere near that series.

• Kevin Gillman - May 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Forgive me Chris for making a mistake….JOE BRINKMAN!!!! How is that, did I get it right? Did I spell his name right? Shall I pronounce his name for you? Have you ever made a mistake on the internet before? probably not, because you know, you would check it out before you post, right? Does it really matter who the home ump was in that game? The strike zone still was gigantic.

• jwbiii - May 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

The plate umpires in Glavine’s games were Jim McKean and Joe Brinkman.

• Kevin Gillman - May 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yeah I get that, thank you. Jim was in Game 2, and Joe was in Game 6.

• mlnewton24 - May 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

And I guess Ron Gant just lost his balance on first when Hrbeck tagged him too??? Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

• mlnewton24 - May 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Hrbek. Sorry.

6. courageousdeer - May 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Bitter? Oh, a tad.

7. realgone2 - May 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Someone call the Twins’ next of kin. I think the Fulton County coroner may need dental records.

8. kevinbnyc - May 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

At least the Braves have won more than one playoff series since then?

9. raybrower - May 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Well I’ll have you know our Low A team is pretty damn good. So take that Atlanta and your playoff hopes. (I miss good baseball, damn it.)

10. wwttww - May 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Falcons over Vikings in 1999 NFC title game….made up for it.

• getadealdonealready - May 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM

If losing a SB made up for it, then I’m glad you are happy.

11. 4d3fect - May 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We missed out on all the excitement of that Series. (Tramping around incommunicado in Indonesia) Good to see the emotions still reverberate though, thanks Craig.

12. historiophiliac - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I like the fighting dollies picture.

• wlschneider09 - May 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Those dollies, er, men aren’t fighting. See, the dollie/man that’s parallel to the ground was, um, falling. Yeah, cause he had too much momentum. And couldn’t stop. Yeah. And the other nice dollie/man is, um, holding him up, because, um, he doesn’t want the first man to get hurt. Isn’t that nice?

• historiophiliac - May 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I think those dollies are drunk.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4960)