And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 23, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT

Star Trek into Darkness

Phillies 3, Marlins 0: Cliff Lee shuts out the Marlins on three hits. Granted, it doesn’t take anyone as good as Lee to shut out the Marlins, but that’s nothing that Lee could help. He was dominant. Just like Benedict Cumberbatch in that scene when he killed all those [alien race redacted to avoid spoilers] in the Star Trek movie, which I went to go see last night rather than watch baseball.

Braves 8, Twins 3: Evan Gattis broke it open with a grand slam but the Braves were on their way to tattooing the Twins as it was. Starter Vance Worley was demoted to Triple-A after this one. Know who else should be demoted? Whichever screenwriter or script supervisor didn’t notice that within the space of about three minutes of the Star Trek movie that they (a) had someone get transported with the shields up; and then (b) had a plot point where no one could be transported because the shields are up. Look, the bar for tech continuity in Star Trek is really, really low after all of these years. But I would hope they could keep it internally consistent for more than five minutes. Too much to ask?

Rangers 3, Athletics 1: David Murphy and Adrian Beltre homered in the three-run first inning, giving Texas everything it needed early. Know what else all got taken care of early? The plot to the new Star Trek, which was essentially written in [year redacted to avoid spoilers] for the [earlier Star Trek movie to avoid spoilers]. That’s OK, I suppose, because it was still solid, well done and it was territory worth revisiting again. But wow, it was a little on the nose, I think, and makes me feel like it was phoned in.

Dodgers 9, Brewers 2: Don Mattingly spent his time before the game saying things which seemed like they were calculated to get him fired. But Hyun-Jin Ryu had a nice game and the bats built up a seven-run lead early which allowed them to cruise safely. Apparently, based on what I saw in Star Trek last night, a ship can totally cruise safely if they’re in warp, given how surprised Kirk was when the Enterprise was overtaken in a chase/fight scene. So apparently the decades of scenes filmed for the TV shows in which ships chased each other and were overtaken while in warp never occurred.

Reds 7, Mets 4: Matt Harvey proves mortal. Zack Cozart is apparently his kryptonite, as he got four hits off the Mets’ ace. Speaking of kryptonite, I saw the last Superman trailer last night. Not gonna lie: kinda stoked. I mean, it’s Superman, not Batman, so it’s gonna have inherent limitations. But it does look pretty good. Of course, like Trek, it’s going back to an old well — General Zod is in this one, which I can reveal because it’s in the trailers — but also like Trek it’s a pretty deep well, so I think I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Blue Jays 4, Rays 3: Two homers and four RBI for Jose Bautista. Who began the first inning showing bunt just to mess with us, apparently. I feel like J.J. Abrams is messing with the Star Trek franchise a bit too. The movies are good, don’t get me wrong. Better and more entertaining than anything which came out of the franchise from Star Trek VI-on. But you just feel like he’s throwing out scenes and touchstones for fans like red meat without truly taking the universe seriously. Which is mildly concerning given that he has just been handed the keys to the Star Wars franchise. He can’t be worse than George Lucas — who took all of our red meat away in the prequels and demanded that we eat this new weird tofu dish he created — but I sort of hope Abrams feels more invested in the Star Wars universe than he does in the Trek universe and doesn’t feel like it’s just something to play with.

Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 1: The Rockies finish their latest homestand 5-2 and find themselves tied with Arizona and San Francisco for the NL West lead. Which is somewhat surprising as I figured they were playing way over their heads and would swoon come May. I guess there’s still time for that swoon, but in the meantime they’re having fun.  OK, I think I’ve exhausted the Star Trek thoughts which don’t discuss plot points which will spoil it for those who haven’t seen it yet. Please: if you go all Trekkie in the comments, try to give spoiler warnings.

Angels 7, Mariners 1: Four in a row for the Angels as C.J. Wilson strikes out 10. The Angels’ next 14 games come against the reeling Royals, the underachieving Dodgers, the awful Astros and the nearly as bad Cubs. This could be where the season turns around for them. Or the part of the season where they can be officially written off. But they have to make their move now.

Nationals 2, Giants 1: Bryce Harper hit a home run. No word if Rafael Soriano‘s four year-old could do it better.

Orioles 6, Yankees 3: Chris Davis went 4 for 4 with his 14th homer. Homers from Matt Wieters and Nick Markakis too. Baltimore takes two of three from the Yanks.

Pirates 1, Cubs 0: Francisco Liriano has liked his change of scenery. After this gem — two hits and no runs over seven — he’s now 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 18 innings. All of the scoring in this game came on an RBI single in the first. Somehow still took 2:45 to play.

Tigers 11, Indians 7: 62 and 48 minute rain delays in this one, but they got it in. Justin Verlander actually came back after the longer delay to get two more outs and qualify for the W. Miguel Cabrera hit a home that bounced off Michael Bourn‘s glove and into the stands. So I guess that’s an assist for him. We should totally keep track of offensive assists in baseball.

Red Sox 6, White Sox 2: Sox lose.

Astros 3, Royals 1: Jordan Lyles pitched six solid innings and J.D. Martinez hit a two-run homer. James Shields pitched well but didn’t get the run support. In other news, don’t eat the snow cones at Minute Maid Park.

Cardinals 5, Padres 3: Tyler Lyons won his major league debut. Got a hit too. Guess he can do everything. Know who else can apparently do everything? Ensign Chekov, who was promoted from ops to acting Chief Engineer in the movie last night because the plot needed him to. How many ensigns are getting that promotion? There is probably some Lt. Commander down in engineering who has spent a decade busting his butt since leaving the academy, only to see him passed over for the Chief’s job because some wet-behind-the-ears ensign happens to be the captain’s friend. Every Trek movie is like this though. Hundreds of crew members who apparently only exist to get tossed around when the ship is hit by enemy fire, or to die in spectacular set pieces with nary a thought given about them. Meanwhile, every law of Man, Nature and the United Federation of Planets is broken in order to save the life of one of the handful of superstar golden boys. Typical. Know what I’d like to see? A movie made in the vein of the “Lower Decks” episode of “Next Generation” in which we see what it’s like to be canon fodder for Starfleet.

OK, sorry. Just kinda preoccupied this morning. Promise tomorrow’s ATH will not be about Star Trek. I think.

112 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Live Long and Prosper. You know, unless you’re wearing a red shirt and get beamed down to the surface of an alien planet as part of a search party. Then you may as well start living for today, make sure you called your mother, make sure you have on clean underwear — basically get your affairs in order.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM

And read Moby Dick again – and not just because Herman Melville looks like Brian Wilson.

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM

BTW – I can see how one could come to the conclusion that The Kid got et. I seem to have been spending a lot of time with family members lately in waiting rooms, last week when people asked me what I was reading I said B.M. This week when they asked me I said ‘the Evening Redness in the West.’

And yes, I really do enjoy my own inane amusements.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Am I allowed to listen to “Moby Dick” instead? Preferably from the “How the West was Won” performance.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Sure, I think there’s an abridged audiobook version read by Justin Bieber.

• wlschneider09 - May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I don’t beliebe that.

• buggieowens - May 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I prefer the version on The Song Remains the Same myself…c’mon Gator…mentioning Bieber after a subtle, yet appropriate, John Bonham reference?

You really want to start an argument…let’s debate who the best rock drummer is/was. If you say anyone other than Moon, Bonham, or Peart…you are disqualified. /s

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

That’s a fine version itself, playing either one and “In My Time of dying” back to back is a good way to kill 30 minutes.

I’m wary of labelling anything “best”. Totally respect “favorite” but saying best? I mean who’s really to say? One could make a pretty good argument for Gene Krupa or Dave Lombardo depending on criteria.

• buggieowens - May 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

No problem Blue….I was being a wiseass with the “best” thing. I would also add Jimmy Chamberlain to that list.

What I really find sad “warning…grumpy old man comment approaching” is the fact that so many bands in the last 15 years or more might have one or two “stars,” but how many of them have the level of musicianship and originality as the Who, Zeppelin…etc. How many current bands have fans that can easily name all members of the band like Townsend, Daltry, Moon, Entwhistle…….Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham…..

Now forgive as I cut this “short”…I see some kids on my lawn.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Buggie: Sorry, you leave out Ginger Baker and Mickey Hart in the same breath, you’re in no position to disqualify anyone but yourself.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

You could say the same thing from the Disco era, which then gave birth to 80’s rock eventually and the entire alternative movement, where you can find instrumental talent.

I think it’s cyclical, most like other things in life.

• buggieowens - May 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Well Gator…it was my short list….Carmine Appice, Bill Bruford, Nick Mason to name a few worthy others….thanks for reminding me about Baker. I saw him with the Masters of Reality (not Cream…just being born back then)…certainly impressive! I’ll take your word for Hart. Even though I saw the Dead, I am not a big fan. I guess it was a big deal at the show I saw because Jerry spoke. Perhaps going sober was not a good idea. Sadly, I was too young and missed out on seeing Moon or Bonham live…..I did see Peart though and that was impressive. I’ve only seen a few clips of Krupa on youtube….but Wow! Also, even though I think he is a toad, Lars Ulrich from Metallica kicked ass. I guess I have to fess up as a hair metal fan in the 1980s and admit that Alex Van Halen and Tommy Lee were pretty damn cool…in the 1980s.

• professormaddog31 - May 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

buggie – you could say the same about fans of U2. Not only do we know all their names, but in the case of Edge and Bono, we know their given birth names, too.

Favorite drummers – Moon, Bonham, Ginger Baker, Larry Mullen Jr, and Travis Barker.

• buggieowens - May 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

100% agree with you on U2. Not a big Blink fan…I would take Tre from a similar genre. I’m sure that there are many great young musicians out there… I just see very few examples of current bands composed of top notch musicians. I would add Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Mastodon, Blur, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins (I am a huge huge huge fan even though Corgan can be a diva)to that list…but even owning many of their CDs, I can only name a few members. Maybe it is an age thing.

• professormaddog31 - May 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

CRAP. And I forgot ?uestlove, too. Can’t forget ?uestlove.

2. quintjs - May 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Loved the in-depth coverage of the White Sox/ Red Sox series.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM

As above.

3. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM

In the real world, Bautista was a Super Hero. RBI single in the first to tie the game. Home run in the fourth to tie the game. Hell boy walked him his next time up. Home run leading off the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. RBI single to right in the bottom of the 10th for the win. Deuces were wild with 2 on, 2 out and an 0 and 2 count when he got he walk off hit..

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM

The best superhero status I can give Joey Bats is that of Aquaman.

Joey and Encarnacion together are more like the Wonder Twins – as in I always wonder where all their homerun power came from all of a sudden once they came to Toronto. Also I wonder how much longer for the mysterious Canadian power surge to hit Melky Cabrera. More Canadian Bacon!

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Melky was never a power hitter and will never be one. After a brutal start in April, his BA this month is well above .300.

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

PC – your first sentence was Bautista’s entire scouting report when he came to Toronto.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Your insinuation is unbecoming and is not up to your usual standards.

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I wouldn’t call it in insinuation as much as an invitation, I have Melky starting in my rotisserie league. I’m not saying that there are special brownies, and I’m not saying there aren’t. What I’m saying is, if there ARE special brownies like the ones he had in S.F. but better and undetectable, and Melky hasn’t found his way to the special brownie table, I would like please for one of his brownie-loving teammates to direct him there directly.

Also I wanted a way to work in the Wonder Twins.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Aquaman? He was a one man wrecking crew. Although, he was no superhero. He was my archnemesis,tthe worst supervillain of them all…

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM

You make it sound like your legs will turn into a tail if you get water splashed on you.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Shhhhh. You’ll blow my cover. Why do you think I live near a beach?

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

You’ll have to pardon Unk, Indie. When you’ve got Judge Holden, other supervillains become kinda immaterial.

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’m not particularly big or tough, but let’s just say I don’t frighten easy. And I am absolutely terrified of Judge Holden. I think I may have fought him in dreams for my whole life.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Of course you did. Who would come other?

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ah, found this, Moses – just for you:

• unclemosesgreen - May 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Great. Now how will I sleep.

• cur68 - May 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Not ONLY was JB a Superhero but Mark Buehrle has risen from the dead, too. How ’bout THAT, eh? Punted from every Fantasy Team in existence (mine included, and I don’t punt Beaver Players lightly) Mark Buehrle showed some grit. Some heart. Some of the ‘Ole (insert nonsense phrase here) and CAME THROUGH AGAIN. His line? Like so:

7.0IP, 4 Hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6K, 0HR. Not too damn bad, Mr. Buehrle.

So that’s three starts in a row with an “Old Mark Buehrle”-esque performance. He’s going to get some looks at rosters again, I do believe. What’s more, he’s going to get some more wins, too.

If I have this right, its a pretty nice story about he got his pitching sorted out, too. Something about playing catch with his son who told him he was throwing too hard. Once Mark dropped his pitches into the high 80’s max, he was suddenly painting it again. Rarely over the plate high. Keeping it low in the zone, on the corners. If he misses, he tends to miss high and away. If he HAS to throw it over the middle, he throws it over with movement. Rarely throws the same speed twice.

He had those guys out in front or swinging at pitches off the plate. If they did get contact, it wasn’t terribly good contact, and his defence wasn’t TOO effin’ awful (but lord knows they TRIED to be).

/Hat Tip To Mark Buehrle

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM

/drops one silent but violent and sneaks off

• cur68 - May 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

/smells on that sweet, SWEET Beaver Victory: known to overpower ANYTHING

4. Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Dame Fortune wasn’t smiling on the Feesh last night. Aside from being gutted, scaled and filleted by Cliff Lee, the Astros shook off the immediate recycling of their bad organizational karma from befouling their sno-cones with excretia by association last night and won anyway. Bereft of their Bernoulli twin, the Feesh welcomed their ninth shutout of this year’s pax McLoria. Kevin Slowey, after two rotten starts to cork his fine April and half of May, returned to form: he peetched quite well, got no run support, and lost. The Feesh decisively reclaim their worst-of-the-worst position in baseball and baseball-like diversions and continue depopulating Macondo Banana Massacre Field to make it safe for…uh…soccer.

In other news, the Heat were playing last night, so this might be the first time anyone in Macondo who might be reading this actually found out there was a game at all. Meanwhile, the Feesh have gathered up their trappings and headed for Chicago to play the Cubs, which leads us to contemplate whether which team is more accursed. Yes, yes, we know that the Feesh have won two championships in the last sixteen years (notice how that number gets larger every year, as Scrooge McLoria’s apologists try to remind us through some weird mien or other how lucky we are to have him, and eventually our great grandchildren will be hearing about how lucky we are to have won two championships within the last hundred years while the Cubs haven’s won even one within the last two hundred). But is it possible that the cures of the Hanster’s .342 amulet still lingers over this Buddhaforsaken franchise and that anything Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua handled might be even more blighted than something a goat pissed on?

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

What is this crap? Really?

• cur68 - May 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Let me see if I can help you. Now, I usually have some trouble with Gator’s posts, but the research DOES lead me to new information.

So, the first thing we come to: “their Bernoulli twin”. This is a reference to Daniel Bernoulli, the Swiss mathematician and physicist. Famous for his work on what is known as “The Bernoulli Principle” which is about inviscid fluid flow where an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure etc, etc. Not a bad allusion, when we speak of the insipid Feesh.

Now, the “pax McLoria”. Slightly latin. Since its Jeff Loria we speak of, lets call it “pig Latin”, eh? We insult the pigs, yes, but they don’t read, so ‘eff ‘em. Comes from the old phrase “The Roman Peace” or “Pax Romana” where the military might of Old Rome enforced laws and saw to it that ordinarily fractious nations got along. Using it thus: “Pax McLoria” we have irony/sarcasm etc. A dude who chooses the name “frenchysplatediscipline” should have NO problem with that, right? (I’m presuming your parents didn’t name you that but, if so, golf clap, Mr. & Mrs Plate D, golf clap).

As for the rest, well that’s pure Gator. For that, I can only recommend getting out of the house more. Some sun, a few fruity cocktails, maybe staring hard at a pretty girl in short-shorts, cowboy boots, and ten gallon hat. Preferably one eating a banana. Try that, read again, and you’ll get the gist of it, I’m sure.

Cheers.

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Great – thanks for the help.

Now I can go back to watching cartoons and breathing heavily out of my mouth.

(by the way – that’s sarcasm. And no I won’t purchase your over priced sarcasm font)

• cur68 - May 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM

If anyone needed my Sarcasm Font™ its you. Easy on the mouth breathing. Dries out the teeth and leads to cavities and halitosis.

5. nbjays - May 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Actually, PC, his hit in the 1st which scored Gose didn’t tie the game, it put the Jays up 1-0.

Other than that, he pretty much won the thing on his own, since the rest of the lineup had a total of three hits between them to Joey Bats’ four. Wake up, offense!

Most importantly, though, Joey’s walk-off broke that dog-ugly streak of 15 consecutive lost series against the Rays. Kudos for that to those wonderful people like Rodney and Farnsworth in the Rays’ blowpen… I mean BULLPEN.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM

You are right of course, but I liked my narrative better.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Phooey to both of you. :-)

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

So far tonight, your team is having a good night.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM

You know, I used to like to you…

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I was referring to Baltimore and Boston being blown out tonight.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

lol You’re nicer than me then. I was referring to the Rays not being able to blow a lead because they’re not playing, thank Jobu. I needed a break from watching the “blowpen.”

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Based on what I saw tonight, Baltimore’s pen is currently worse than yours. I did not get to see Baltimore’s closer blow another save because they did not use him.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM

You sure about that? I don’t know if Baltimore’s is worse. They only blew their first lead after 7 innings just a few nights ago after like 110 games of not doing so. Sheesh, I don’t know if this is a crown I want to win–who sucks worse? It’s come to this.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Todays rest will help your pen. Baltimore just came off a rough series in NY and has 4 against Toronto. Their pen will be gassed by the end of Sunday.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I was rooting for your boys tonight. They did a nice job tiring the O’s pen.

The only thing that will help our pen is an exorcism, I’m afraid.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Do you know an exorcist?

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM

No, but I can google it.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Good luck. I am calling it a night soon, so if you find one tell me tomorrow.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Have a good night, PC.

6. paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Wait a second….you are asking for Star Trek to evince consistency and logic in their story telling and tech application….but you could stomach the horrific plot lines and omni-present contradictions in Battle Star Gallactica?

• Craig Calcaterra - May 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

It’s never easy to be consistent in 150+ hours of filmed product, which is what BSG is. And what the ST TV shows are. But I would hope that in a two hour movie they could avoid a glaring contradiction in the space of five minutes.

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I suppose….the problem with BSG is that the center piece of an episode is ignored the rest of the time (e.g. water availability)….a random agglomeration of random ships are marooned in space and you have a big press corp? People in a desperate situation act like they should still do their specialized social construct occupation rather than…you know…try to help the race survive…..there is one scientist and he can do EVERYTHING….and even have time to be president? The plots were mostly so horribly contrived and at odds with context….thousands of stranded people on ships not equipped/supplied for long travel and with no ability to re-supply food, water, weaponry….nothing…not even clothing…..if you are going to create that context you have to honor it….not completely ignore it….not to mention the fact that characters could go from mutiny to captain of a ship in no time….and you are complaining about Chekov?

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

….and assassins that shot people in the gut from point blank range rather than the head or chest…or….jeez, it was a series that treated the viewer like an idiot.

• dcarroll73 - May 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Well said, paper … and you managed a perfect synopsis without using the beloved phrase, “rag-tag band.”

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Cocktail party fact of the day (grasp wineglass elegantly, raise pinky): a young actor by the name of George Takei did much of the English-language overdubbing of the original Rodan.

Flash forward: George Takei and William Shatner can’t stand each other.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Is Gallactica the one with Face from the A-Team?

7. rollinghighwayblues - May 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I was lucky enough to score a suite to the San Antonio Missions game last night. Free food and beer, can’t beat that with a stick, needless to say I filled my gullet with delicious macro beer, hamburger(s) and kettle baked potato chips.

Craig, I saw your all-time favorite mascots, Ballapeño and Henry the Puffy Taco, talk about a blast and making the fans feel at home. I can honestly say that Henry made me laugh out loud as he danced wildly with his lettuce flying about.

I had the privilege of watching the fantastic 9-5-1-2 putout and multiple relievers from each team throwing straight gas in the late innings.

Stex-I felt guilty, the game featured an unintentional navy and gold Astros reunion and you weren’t there. Sean Berry, Tim Bogar and the slugging pitcher, Mike Hampton, were all in attendance coaching for the respectable teams.

• stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Sounds like a great night for baseball, blues. I’ve always wondered if San Antonio could move to the big time. That town loves its baseball. And they are the 10th largest city in the U.S. But the Metro viewing area may not be big enough or may be too fragmented.

• buggieowens - May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes!…bring MLB to San Antonio!!!!!!!!!!

8. jayscarpa - May 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

**Small Spoiler**

I don’t think ships could fire weapons while @ warp. That was the surprise.

• Francisco (FC) - May 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Actually they did it all the time in the original series. But apparently Kirk also thought the same. I keep imagining a Parody of this scene: “what? They are firing at warp speed? Call J.J. Hand me the script. That can’t be right.”

9. natslady - May 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Bryce Harper didn’t run into a wall, either, with a nice game-saving catch. Pence had one of those, too, though in a losing cause. I won’t say a “lost cause,” because when the game is 2-1 in the 10th that’s hardly a lost cause.

Sheeesh–our offense, our bullpen!!! The bullpen blew away Gio’s gem today, and Stras’ solid start yesterday, very wasteful. But the bullpen wouldn’t be in such straits if the Nats had scored more than 4 runs in THREE games.

I HEART Adam LaRoche for this.
    Best defensive/pitching play. LaRoche. +.083
    8th inning. Score 1-1. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Two out.
    Brandon Belt reached on fielder’s choice to 1B. Posey out at 2B.

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

PS, if it weren’t for the pitching, we would be the Angels, Dodgers or Jays. Nats actual record. 24-23. Pythagorean Record. 20-27. GET SOME RUNS.

• stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Your other big problem is Storen. He is cold as ice. Just exited my fantasy team. They need to reconsider the set up role.

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Yeah, really shaky. Trying to remember the last time he had an “easy” 1-2-3 inning. Gonna have to look it up–and that’s not good.

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM

If I were you I would heart Roachy too.

Just think how much WORSE Zim could be without Adam at first to reel in some of those errant throws…

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Hahahahah. And what kind of crap is that – really?

You’d choke before you’d admit it, but clearly, I have been a major influence on your prose style.

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

No – I admit I am impressed with your use of the English language. In fact, your writing reminds me of a retired English professor – and I mean that as a compliment (I held my English professors in high regard).

It’s just too long sometimes. This is the comments section, not the blog section…

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Sometimes you just gotta keep heaving the spaghetti against the wall to see if enough of it sticks, you know? Suggestion: when you’ve read enough, quit reading and move on. I promise not to be offended.

And thank you. Really.

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

See? Even us low-lives can say nice things.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rest easy. Compared to some of what’s passed through these digital portals (and blessedly passed on) since I’ve been hanging around here – which is since just a few weeks after this blog was founded – you don’t even begin to qualify as a lowlife.

10. rockthered1286 - May 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

3 nasty streaks broken at OPACY yesterday:
    1. First series win in the past 4 series
    2. First time Hammel didn’t look like garbage since the end of April (hello 10.something ERA for the month…)
    3. First back to back wins in weeks

On a side note, couldn’t be anymore excited to watch Gausman tonight. It’s cautious optimism really. Given the O’s track record in the last 5 or so years of bringing up homegrown pitching? I have absolute reason to pause. Then again Gausman and Bundy are leaps and bounds better prospects than (at the time) Daniel Cabrera, Sidney Ponson, Jason Berken, Adam Loewen, Hayden Penn, Eric Bedard, Matt Hobgood (who never even made it up and has been stuck in single A since being drafted 5th overall in ’09) and you can even throw a second “lucky-they-are-bullpen-worthy-but-still-failed-as-highly-touted-starters” category for the likes of Matusz, Arrieta, David Hernandez, Britton, and I’m sure there are others I’m missing…that is an UGLY list. Yikes.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Tell Gausman to be careful of that Bautista chap. Throw him pitches that are low and on the inside corner.

• abaird2012 - May 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Inside HALF — no need to be too fine.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

You are right. That works.

11. aceshigh11 - May 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I actually quite enjoyed the new Star Trek film.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a terrific villain with a baritone that occasionally approaches the gothic menace of Christopher Lee’s best work.

HOWEVER…J.J. Abrams writing partner, Damon Lindelof, has slowly been exposed as a hack of the lowest order. His script was by far the weakest part of Prometheus, and the storyline to “…Into Darkness” was similarly riven with holes.

And also…I agree that Abrams has no respect or reverence for Star Trek canon, which he’s basically flat-out admitted. I wouldn’t worry about Star Wars though, because he’s also admitted that he was a Star Wars geek growing up, not a Trekkie, so he may be a bit more respectful towards its legacy.

• stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I wouldn’t let Michael Bay or JJ Abrams direct a trip to the grocery store. Even my grandson sees through their lame plots, hack writing, and extreme reliance on special effects. But I’ll probably see the movie anyway. I fear for the Star Wars franchise in Abrams’ hands, though.

But Cumerbatch is a good actor. I will like to see what he does.

• aceshigh11 - May 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ah, I wouldn’t compare Abrams to Michael Bay.

Abrams may be overrated, but he’s not a complete soulless tool like Bay is.

• professormaddog31 - May 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely amazing. I’ve never seen him give a bad performance. I hope you’ve seen some of his other work, like his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series? Magic.

I’m only looking forward to seeing the new Trek movie for two reasons: The Cumberbatch and also seeing what Z. Quinto does with Spock this time around.

• stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Seen Cumerbatch in “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” (much more understated), as Sherlock Holmes (which I thought he was pretty much spot on for an updated version), and I think he will be getting a bigger part in the coming Hobbit movie.

So far, I am fairly impressed with him.

• professormaddog31 - May 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I was going to mention that Abrams is not a fan of Trek, and he clearly thinks it’s fine to play fast and loose with established Trek lore, crossing lines that veer sharply into fanfiction. I’m not putting fanfic down, at all, but you expect more from the guy that Paramount has entrusted the Trek legacy to.

He apparently worships at the altar of Lucas, though, so perhaps his take on SW will be a little more reverent?

12. mybrunoblog - May 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Forget about Star Trek canon. This is a new universe, timeline etc. The movie was awesome. I really enjoyed it.
    My apologies for going nerd folks but Star Trek does that to me.

• frenchysplatediscipline - May 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I have never been a Star Trek fan (at least not the TV shows; I liked the old movies tho), but I took my son to see the new one last night and him and I both LOVE the 2 new additions to the series.

Besides the eye candy visuals (best 3D movie I have seen yet in IMAX), I think Chris Pine does a pretty damn fine job as Kirk.

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Trekkie here (yes, it can happen to females). Wore out the complete set of DVDs for the original and Next Generation. Not sure I will drag myself to a movie theatre, though.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

“Get a life.”

– W. Shatner (famously)

• APBA Guy - May 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Definitely see it in IMAX. If you are a serious fan of the original cast and canon, the painful divergences from myth, Chris Pine as the lead, etc, will be minimized by the technical magnificence of the production and the supporting cast.

13. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Delmon Young – Home Run, 2 out Infield Single to start a 2 run rally, and an Outfield Assist. Worst day of Craigs life

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Svelte Delmon Young, ladies and gentlemen! Paid and played!

(I love that the ad before the video was Whataburger though.)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Heh-heh, I missed that part

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Hmmm, maybe it was a private message from the internets and it is telling me something…

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

So–Stras vs. Colbert on Sunday. I will be there, if it doesn’t rain (and maybe if it does). Do you come down here for games?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I can’t – for some reason the transaction won’t go through when I try to buy the tix online :)

14. sdelmonte - May 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I have been a Trekkie since I was 10, and this is the first Trek film I am skipping since ST:TMP. I didn’t like the first Abrams film, can’t stand Chris Pine, and nothing I have heard about this one makes me want to support it. It’s Trek-Lite, devoid of the deeper meaning of the shows and designed to appeal to a different audience while tossing in moments of fan service that could do without. I don’t necessarily think we would get anything more from a summer blockbuster now, but I am content to stay home and watch Wrath of Khan on Netflix.

Or Wrath of Collins on Metflix. Adam Rubin raises a great point today about Alderson’s utter failure to find productive “Moneyball” free agents during the off-season. Yes, the payroll is bloated and the owners are fixing a mess and the minors are rebuilding. But there is really no reason while Alderson couldn’t find a few Lyle Overbay types. I have to wonder if his days as GM might be numbered.

15. deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Haven’t seen the new Star Trek yet and people tell me they’re good, but I’m a little tired of every movie- despite what they were originally- being turned into a CGI action flick.

• Francisco (FC) - May 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I think it was good. Just lower your expectations and shut off the brain for a while. The days of Harve Bennet and Nick Meyer are long gone. That said the movie has some moments and in terms of how this universe has changed and who the new villains are make a lot of sense taking into account Nero’s rampage in the reboot. I think the first 15 minutes of the new Enterprise crew screen time was like getting a capsule of TOS, it had that feel. Of course more outlandish, but still I was wondering: why can’t they write more like THAT.

And Kirk is quite arrogant but you would be if Thor was your father.

16. sportsdrenched - May 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

You see that Dayton Moore, the Twins demoted a dude who wasn’t performing. You might want to ask some other GM’s how to do that, it says in the rules that you can.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Can you wait til after this series? :D

17. thomas844 - May 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Something about Benedict Cumberbatch in the movie reminded me of Hannibal Lector. Perhaps it was the scene when he was menacingly staring at Kirk from behind the glass and trying to get into his mind.

18. joeandcambria - May 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The last few starts have got me really worried about Verlander. I know it’s too soon to panic, but three mediocre starts from our ace isn’t a good sign.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Shhhh. I was hoping no one would bring that up.

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Not sure if you noticed, but the Cardinals added some more OK flavor with Tyler Lyons. He wasn’t born in OK (Lubbock, TX, of all places), but he did go to OSU.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Go, Pokes! Pow, Pow!

Well, maybe he got some OK goodness flavoring then.

19. perryt200 - May 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I am a bit disappointed that should Tyler Lyons actually read this article, that he has to be subjected to the Star Trek bit.

But it does seem with the loss of Garcia for the season the Cards still have plenty of arrows in the quiver.

20. charlutes - May 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Ditto on the hoping he takes the Wars world more seriously. Trek has always been the nerdy little brother to the also nerdy but much cooler Wars. Lightsaber and blaster battles in abundance vs rumbly ships and a lot of talking. Can’t wait for new Wars, hope they don’t suck like the last three. I have high hopes.

21. spudchukar - May 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No Carpenter, no Furcal, no Motte, no Westbrook, and no Garcia, and hardly any Freese, no problem. Cards take another series, maintain their BRIB status, as newly elevated Tyler Lyons baffles the recently surging Pads, limiting them to a solo blast, in 6 2/3 innings.

Will the injuries catch up with them, probably, but to be where they are with the difficulties they have encountered is truly remarkable. Proud.

22. APBA Guy - May 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Jarrod Parker and the Case of the Missing Fastball Command, Part 9.

Since we’re discussing movies we should mention that A’s fans have seen this film 8 times previously, and like the cast of Harry Potter, it’s getting old. Ray and Glenn spent the entire bottom of the first talking about this yesterday, Ray becoming increasingly agitated as he did. When Parker misses with his fastball, he allows the hitters to either sit on his change or ambush his first pitch get-me-over fastball. Beltre just destroyed one of the latter, going something like 440 feet in the uncharacteristically cool, heavy air that Arlington had yesterday.

Surprisingly, the A’s could do nothing against Wolf, a guy the A’s had briefly a few years ago, who was making an emergency start due to all the Texas injuries. He was throwing his usual repertoire, which ordinarily is AAAA stuff, but yesterday was just better enough to get the A’s out. Maybe the A’s were overcome by Pre Astros Series Syndrom (PrASS).

Still, the A’s took 2 of 3 in Texas after a sweep in KC. 5-1 so far on this trip which is way better than they have been doing on their previous roadtrips this year.

23. deep64blue - May 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Well Chekov started off in Engineering in The Original Series so I thought it was a nice touch!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win