Bryce Harper has a better day

May 23, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 9.03.51 AM

A day after fearing the right field wall in AT&T Park, Bryce Harper went back on a drive much closer to the bricks and made a nice catch. He also had an opposite field home run. You can see both of those plays here.

Funny what happens when Davey Johnson doesn’t make his best hitter bunt. Also: Harper is a kid. Just as he’s gonna make kid mistakes sometimes, he’s gonna bounce back way faster than anyone and let his athletic ability beat down his anxiety about stuff. Because that’s just how kids roll.

1. goskinsvt - May 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

It was pretty cool to see him bounce back in the very next game on a ball more or less exactly the same as the one hit the night before. Good for him, hopefully the mental hurdle has been jumped.

• blacksables - May 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think it’s pretty telling that he made the catch right in front of the scoreboard featuring the Royals – Astros. Maybe Davey told him if he didn’t learn to make those catches, that’s where he would be playing.

That would be incentive for me.

2. jarathen - May 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

More than anything this exposes the folly of overblowing the importance of a single game. Even a single game on the national stage, one of great importance like a World Series game, doesn’t change who a player IS, and what their abilities are.

3. historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Punks.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

“One Saturday I took a walk to Zipperhead
      I met a girl there
      And she almost knocked me dead
      Punk rock girl please look at me
      Punk rock girl what do you see?”

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don’t drink tea and no Philly pizza for me.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We can still jump up on the table and scream “anarchy”!

Or, maybe I do that already. Hmm….

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Rage!

(And not that crappy Canadian kind.)

• professormaddog31 - May 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If you don’t have Mojo Nixon, then your store could use some fixin’…

4. Marty - May 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Interesting to hear Bryce Harper played baseball yesterday.

• Marty - May 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

You really got the scoop, Craig. Bravo.

5. stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Disclaimer. I like Harper. I think he is going to be very good for a long time and I hope he is. I was never bothered by the early swagger. He’s young and people are always sticking mikes in his face.

He messed up two plays. One by being overly aggressive and the other by being careless about where he played and then being a little afraid of a collision. Big deal. Let him continue to develop. He’s not stupid. There is nothing wrong with Harper that a little bit of improvement OUT OF THE PUBLIC EYE won’t fix.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You’re older than the internet, aren’t you?

• stex52 - May 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Point taken. And yes I am by quite a stretch.

But there are a lot of extremely promising young players out there this year (Goldschmidt, Harvey, Sale, Gattis, Altuve come to mind; even Trout) who are not being followed breathlessly for their every quote or mistake.

Would it be that awful if the press gave him a short rest?

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The irony is that he probably has no expectation of being able to improve out of the limelight. It always stuns me how the younger generation has no expectation or interest, it seems, in privacy. They are raised on exhibitionism, I think.

Also, if everyone wasn’t so obsessed with the young punks, it might be easier on them. Everyone wants to be in on the next big thing. Blah. I find it kinda boring meself.

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Stex, it wouldn’t be awful, but they won’t. Just think of all the Strasburg pixels. Once “analysts” have found a story, they don’t let loose of it easily. Have a listen to the Monday Baseball Tonight podcast and Buster Olney ga-ga about Cleveland and how they were going to make a “statement” in their 2-day series IN MAY against the Tigers. (The Cleveland beat writer was squirming, and struggling to be polite).

ooooooooooooooooops!

6. blovy8 - May 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

DJ said Harper was bunting on his own in that previous game.

• natslady - May 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Bingo.

But that takes away Craig’s narrative and his trolling…

• Marty - May 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Harper is dreamy to Craig. Things are often imagined.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3071)