Carlos Zambrano takes one step closer to Philly

May 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EST

Carlos Zambrano pitched an extended spring training game today and wasn’t half bad:

When he was signed and I laughed about it people said he was just insurance, etc. A lot like the Delmon Young thing. But it seems like he’s on a course to actually contribute to the Phillies. And, with the Nats sorta sucking air at the moment, those contributions will come in what, for a while anyway, might be a race for second place.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yea……still would rather it be someone else then this head case. Which is what I said about Pedro 4 years ago. And that worked out fine.

But still…..Zambrano?? Ugh

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I’d rather them see what they have in Cloyd in the bigs, even if he was stinking it up in the minors.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You’d think they would with his 2 QS this season. But who knows- Delmon Young will be the every day RF no matter what his OBP is.

• xmatt0926x - May 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I think they know exactly what they have in Cloyd and Pettibone and that’s why they are still looking for help. As a fan, of course I hope they both keep churning out the good starts but it’s not likely to continue. Right handers with just ok stuff and weak to average fastballs who need pinpoint control to be effective usually fall back to earth pretty quick once the league gets a few looks at them. Not that Zambrano is the answer at all but I think Ruben knows what they have in these guys and he knows he can’t count on them forever. Maybe keep one as the #5 but that’s about it. Hope I’m wrong.

2. shwoogy1 - May 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I say third start and he implodes

3. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

“… might be a race for second place.”

Sure you say that now that they’re on another streak, like their start to the season. Give it a week or two and I’m sure they’ll bring everyone back into it.

• evanwins - May 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yeah. Craig’s a silly homer. He needs another game 162 in 2011 to put him back in line. Remember that one buddy? You weren’t talking all big after that were ya? When you want to start flapping your gums and puffing out your chest you should think about how we made you feel on that night.

I wonder, did you cry like a little girl on that fateful evening?

• paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

He probably responded the same way you did when Chris Carpenter ended the Phillies season that year.

4. raybrower - May 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I would bet anything in the world that Carlos Zambrano’s vehicle has TruckNutz on it.

5. foreverchipper10 - May 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I am going to be sick about it when he actually gets called up and goes all Livan Hernandez on the Braves and puts up a stupid line like 7 1/3 IP 3 H 0 R and 9 K. That is going to be a sad, sad day.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5302)