May 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
After Chase Utley was scratched from the lineup earlier this week due to a “burning sensation” in his rib cage, it appeared unlikely that he would be able to avoid an extended absence, so it comes as no surprise that the Phillies are placing him the 15-day disabled list.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Utley is dealing with a mild oblique strain. The usual timeline for this type of injury is anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. said that they hope to have him back after 15 days.
It’s a tough break for the Phillies, as Utley is off to a strong start this season. The 34-year-old is batting .272/.339/.475 with seven home runs, 25 RBI, five stolen bases an an .844 OPS in 44 games. Freddy Galvis should get most of the playing time at second base until Utley is ready to return.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12