May 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
After Chase Utley was scratched from the lineup earlier this week due to a “burning sensation” in his rib cage, it appeared unlikely that he would be able to avoid an extended absence, so it comes as no surprise that the Phillies are placing him the 15-day disabled list.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Utley is dealing with a mild oblique strain. The usual timeline for this type of injury is anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. said that they hope to have him back after 15 days.
It’s a tough break for the Phillies, as Utley is off to a strong start this season. The 34-year-old is batting .272/.339/.475 with seven home runs, 25 RBI, five stolen bases an an .844 OPS in 44 games. Freddy Galvis should get most of the playing time at second base until Utley is ready to return.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 88
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (96)