May 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
After Chase Utley was scratched from the lineup earlier this week due to a “burning sensation” in his rib cage, it appeared unlikely that he would be able to avoid an extended absence, so it comes as no surprise that the Phillies are placing him the 15-day disabled list.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Utley is dealing with a mild oblique strain. The usual timeline for this type of injury is anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. said that they hope to have him back after 15 days.
It’s a tough break for the Phillies, as Utley is off to a strong start this season. The 34-year-old is batting .272/.339/.475 with seven home runs, 25 RBI, five stolen bases an an .844 OPS in 44 games. Freddy Galvis should get most of the playing time at second base until Utley is ready to return.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)