Derek Jeter’s Starbucks name is Philip

May 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

New York Yankees Photo Day Getty Images

Been staring at this story all day. Thinking I wasn’t gonna link to it. Thinking I had higher standards. But then the crowd thinned out, the bartender said it was last call and the only two of us in the place was me and it, so …

The Yankee shortstop was spotted yesterday leaving one of the coffee chain’s locations in Greenwich Village with a cup suspiciously marked with the name “Philip.” Without his pinstripes, the Yankee captain may have been trying to go incognito as he picked up a cup of joe.

Or, if his Starbucks is like all the ones I’ve been to, he’s just tired of it being spelled “Derrick” or “Deriequ” or maybe he actually said “Derek” and they just misspelled it “Philip.”

In other news, when I go to Starbucks I usually just get a regular cup of coffee. They only ask your name if you’re getting some complicated drink when it’s crowded. It makes me sad to think that the Baseball Jesus orders overly-complicated coffee drinks.

1. chacochicken - May 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Baseball Jesus turns water to coffee and gives out gift baskets to the ladies of dubious virtue.

• Sideline Mob - May 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I wonder if Mike Vick still uses “Ron Mexico” to order his caramel macchiato.

• jerze2387 - May 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

it was for his Valtrex, not caramel macchiato though

• andrewproughcfe - May 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I always tell them my name is Craig Calcaterra. I like being treated like a big celebrity.

2. jcmeyer10 - May 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM

That’s his pseudonym at the club too.

3. Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM

What’s really gonna blow your noodle is when you find out A-Rod orders a Pike Roast with milk, no sugar.

4. biasedhomer - May 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Had higher standards since when?

5. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Yeah really. They never ask my name.
    Admittedly…most likely because I get a Venti coffee with extra cream and one sugar.
    I leave that foo-foo stuff for my Wife.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Starbucks sucks.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM

That’s enough out of you.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You *like* it?

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hahaha! Yeah…I can appreciate that. In fact…that was my initial reaction. Then I continued to go (and pay or that incredibly over-priced crap)…and I acquired the taste. I don’t go nearly as often as most. Only a few times a Month…tops.
        The coffee at work is much cheaper!

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yeah, but I’m weird with my coffee – I drink dark roast black. Starbucks’ medium roast is basically a dark roast, so people who like lighter roasts aren’t going to like it, although they’ve added a blonde roast. Just please tell me you don’t drink the dishwater that is Dunkin Donuts.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM

No, yuck! Starbuck burns their beans when they roast them or something. Blech! I drink a “local” brand (shop is here, but the family/owners have a place in San Salvador), or I just go to the drink mecca that is QuikTrip.

• chacochicken - May 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Much like Evan Gattis, I grow and grind my own coffee beans. Its a rare variety of albino bean known simply as El Oso Frijoles.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

QT coffee *shudders*

I do like the coffee at a couple of our regional convenience stores, QuickChek and Wawa, and the local breakfast sandwich joints put some decent stuff out. Surprisingly, I can actually drink McDonald’s coffee now if I get a shot of esspresso in it.

That burnt taste is because it was a darker roast. I haven’t tried the Veranda, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t have it.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I drink the dark roasts of other brands. I just can’t abide the Starbucks. I like a smoother flavor. And, yes, I can drink the cheapo QT too — I am no snob. I can drink it hot; I can drink it cold; I can drink it fresh; I can drink it old. But, if it’s Starbucks, I have to put lotsa crap init.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Yech, cold coffee. Can’t drink it if it drops down towards room temp, and forget about it on ice.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Nutbag.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Coffee is meant to be brewed at 195 degrees and served at 170. Anything else is uncivilized.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Maybe we can find common ground in a mutual hatred of the Keurig.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

YES! Watery crap *and* environmentally wasteful at the same time.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I’m shocked at how much people will pay to steam their General Foods International Coffee.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Agreed. Starbucks tastes like coffee that has been reheated and boiled. Bad stuff. Keurig is dirty water.

Joffrey’s, Tampa based, is pretty good. Very smooth.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

So I’m guessing since it’s toward the end of the month, you are attempting to fill your post quota?

7. js20011041 - May 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’d have a lot more respect for him if he drank Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is overpriced garbage that tastes like it was brewed with a slow roasted dog’s butthole.

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Hey, we actually agree on something. A mutual dislike of Starbucks coffee, and a liking of Dunkin Donuts coffee

As a health professional, I highly recommend that you cease drinking things brewed in a dog’s butthole. Highly unsanitary.

• js20011041 - May 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I could explain how I know what that tastes like, but there are some things you just don’t want the answer to.

8. tk41 - May 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

As the great philosopher George Carlin once observed: “The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole.”

Not that this has anything to do with Philip Jeter, mind you. Dude is a legend.

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM

“The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

9. shaggylocks - May 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Every time you link to the NY Post article a kitten dies and a little kid decides football is his favorite sport.

10. historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

In full, the cup said: Call me. — Philip 917-555-2398

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If full, the cup said: Men (call me!) — Phillip 917-555-2398.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Don’t pretend no one’s ever given you their number on a cup or napkin before, Woodpecker.

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Hahaha! Point taken Philiac. But I freely admit on more than a few occasions I have had drinks bought for me. I politely thank them for the beer and reply “I don’t swing that way.”
      I don’t get offended in the least. I do typically feel obligated to return the favor with the drink though.

• historiophiliac - May 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

In other news, Christian Bale’s Starbucks name is “Christian.”

• indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I still want to see what you look like!

11. eagles512 - May 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Every time I drive by a Starbucks, everyone there looks like dbags.

12. sdelmonte - May 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

He was just getting a cup for Phil Hughes.

13. sjhaack - May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Nothing complicated about a small latte, and if two people is a crowd the Starbucks I’ve been to need to get out to more parties.

14. BigGreen89 - May 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I’m surprised nobody has raised the SNL skit: http://foodbeast.com/content/2013/01/28/snl-brings-the-real-starbucks-experience-home-video/

15. xmatt0926x - May 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

There’s no way that complicated coffee drink was for him. He likely ran out of signed baseballs or gift baskets after scoring last night. That lucky bastard….

16. denny65 - May 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Real men drink Peets. Tully’s in a pinch.

17. billyboots - May 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My starbucks name is T-Bone.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win