May 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Francisco Liriano was terrible for the Twins and White Sox last season and then lost out on a ton of guaranteed money with the Pirates when he broke his right arm trying to prank his kids on Christmas morning.
That all led to a whole lot of jokes at his expense and caused Liriano to miss the first month of the season, but now he’s healthy and looking extremely good.
Liriano shut out the Cubs for seven innings last night and is now 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA and 25/6 K/BB ratio in 18 innings for the Pirates.
He hasn’t faced any strong lineups yet through three starts, but it’s hard to argue with 25 strikeouts in 18 innings and as usual if Liriano shows any semblance of decent control he has the raw stuff to dominate.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)