May 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Francisco Liriano was terrible for the Twins and White Sox last season and then lost out on a ton of guaranteed money with the Pirates when he broke his right arm trying to prank his kids on Christmas morning.
That all led to a whole lot of jokes at his expense and caused Liriano to miss the first month of the season, but now he’s healthy and looking extremely good.
Liriano shut out the Cubs for seven innings last night and is now 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA and 25/6 K/BB ratio in 18 innings for the Pirates.
He hasn’t faced any strong lineups yet through three starts, but it’s hard to argue with 25 strikeouts in 18 innings and as usual if Liriano shows any semblance of decent control he has the raw stuff to dominate.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12