May 23, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
On the heels of a six-game losing streak and a 2-7 road trip, the Seattle Mariners will make an expected and needed roster move sometime today. Catcher Jesus Montero will be sent to Triple A Tacoma, while catcher Jesus Sucre will be selected from the Rainiers.
Montero is having an awful year, hitting .208/.264/.327. This as a “catcher”/DH who can’t really catch.
He’s still just 23 and has shown flashes of competence and more since he’s been up. But those who have tried to assess his future and grade the trade that sent him away from New York have to acknowledge that they’ve been dealing with a pretty raw set of goods.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 34
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 68
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)