Marlins release Jon Rauch

May 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Jon Rauch Getty Getty Images

Jon Rauch passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment last week and the Marlins released the veteran reliever two months into a one-year, $1 million contract.

Rauch was terrible for Miami, allowing 14 runs in 16.2 innings, but he had a 3.59 ERA with good secondary numbers for the Mets last season and a combined 3.75 ERA from 2009-2012. Despite being 6-foot-10 and looking the part of an overpowering reliever Rauch’s raw stuff hasn’t been late-inning caliber for a while now and at age 34 he might simply be done, but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get another look somewhere as a middle reliever.

Miami’s bullpen ranks 10th in the NL with a 4.07 ERA.

1. mungman69 - May 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You must know you’re done when Miami releases you.

• duckthefodgers - May 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Thats what everyone said with Ankiel and Houston.

• tuberippin - May 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Rauch already used his “sign with the Mets” card.

2. Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

….which nicely compliments the worst offense in MLB.

Rauch is a free man. I would also be surprised if his numbers didn’t improve with whomever he latches on with next.

• sabatimus - May 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My thought exactly. If I had to pitch for that joke of a team I’d be so depressed that my performance would be terrible.

• mazblast - May 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Gator, did you mean “compliment”, or “complement”? Using the wrong word would be very unusual for someone of your erudition.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, but less unusual for someone of my age.

3. jfk69 - May 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Weee willie wilpon ..Your ship has come in. Price wise that is.

• mazblast - May 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, but is he even worth the pro-rated minimum?

4. multiplemiggs - May 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM

and here come the Mets!

5. billyboots - May 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

As long as the Twins don’t sign him again. Ugh, worst closer we’ve ever had.

Three legends off to Cooperstown