May 23, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
It’s been expected all along that the Mets would keep prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler in the minors until June, in part to delay his service time, but here we are. Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by a “high-ranking team official” that Wheeler is expected to make 2-3 starts with Triple-A Las Vegas before joining the Mets. This would place his major league debut somewhere in the range of June 6 or 11.
Wheeler recently had a minor scare due to some soreness in the AC joint in his right shoulder, but everything checked out OK. For what it’s worth, the team official told Puma that Wheeler may have already been in the majors it wasn’t for the minor setback. It ends up making for a convenient excuse in the end, as the Mets won’t have to worry about his Super Two status by early June.
Wheeler, 22, allowed three runs in five innings in his return to action Wednesday and owns a 3.91 ERA and 49/20 K/BB ratio in 48 1/3 innings over eight starts this season in Triple-A. Matt Harvey‘s early success has set the bar pretty high, but the Mets are hoping Wheeler can be the next core piece in their rebuilding effort.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)