May 23, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
So torn here. I love what Evan Gattis has done with the Braves so far. Highlight reel moments, power when it has been needed and he is a great story. But I almost wonder if he’s too great a story.
We cant’ seem to go a day without hearing some new Gattis-is-Kane-from-Kung-Fu tale. Stuff about him walking the Earth, smashing baseballs, dispensing wisdom, being legendary. The latest, from Mark Bradley of the AJC, on a conversation between Fredi Gonzalez and Gattis in spring training:
The manager had sought to tell Gattis, who was on the brink of making the Atlanta Braves’ 25-man roster, to relax. Whereupon Gattis said, “Do you want to win?” Whereupon Gonzalez said he did. Whereupon Gattis said: “If you care about winning, you need me on this team.”
That’s such a great story the day after he hits a big grand slam. But when, inevitably, he goes into an extended slump, it’s not gonna mean a lot.
Sorry if that makes me a killjoy. I just hate to see stories and myths and personas built up with respect to ballplayers. The game is gonna humble everyone at some point and all of the meaning in those stories is gonna evaporate pretty quickly. And it will cause unnecessary backlashes among certain kinds of fans and it’s all just so much noise about a person we really don’t know as well as the storytellers would have us think we do.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)