May 23, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
So torn here. I love what Evan Gattis has done with the Braves so far. Highlight reel moments, power when it has been needed and he is a great story. But I almost wonder if he’s too great a story.
We cant’ seem to go a day without hearing some new Gattis-is-Kane-from-Kung-Fu tale. Stuff about him walking the Earth, smashing baseballs, dispensing wisdom, being legendary. The latest, from Mark Bradley of the AJC, on a conversation between Fredi Gonzalez and Gattis in spring training:
The manager had sought to tell Gattis, who was on the brink of making the Atlanta Braves’ 25-man roster, to relax. Whereupon Gattis said, “Do you want to win?” Whereupon Gonzalez said he did. Whereupon Gattis said: “If you care about winning, you need me on this team.”
That’s such a great story the day after he hits a big grand slam. But when, inevitably, he goes into an extended slump, it’s not gonna mean a lot.
Sorry if that makes me a killjoy. I just hate to see stories and myths and personas built up with respect to ballplayers. The game is gonna humble everyone at some point and all of the meaning in those stories is gonna evaporate pretty quickly. And it will cause unnecessary backlashes among certain kinds of fans and it’s all just so much noise about a person we really don’t know as well as the storytellers would have us think we do.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)