The Legend of El Oso Blanco

May 23, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Evan Gattis

I said this morning that I’m a bit uncomfortable with the legend-building surrounding Evan Gattis. I think I’m not alone in thinking that it’s starting to get a little ridiculous. From an Atlanta radio stadion:

Unless that’s a straight-up homage and I’m just reading in the satire.

1. chacochicken - May 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

At least they found a way to get in a dig at Yunel.

2. EJL - May 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

That was a fun listen! I laughed out loud.Who could think it was serious?

3. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Dude fly fishes for whales!
    He is easily the Dos Equis guy of MLB.

4. paperlions - May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Holy hell that was funny.

5. nygiantstones - May 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

This is tongue-in-cheek humor like those Dos XX’s commercials.

6. evanwins - May 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Atlanta and the Braves organization has a pretty bad history of crowning baseball players as the next Wille Mays or Joe DiMaggio only for those players to suck big time over the long haul. Recently Jason Heyward who was supposed to be superman and has turned out to be, well let’s just say not anything special. And I’m sure everyone remembers all the hype around Francouer and that really blew up in their face.

We’ll see with Gattis.

• realgone2 - May 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

You got 3 thumbs down. But the truth does hurt.

• GoneYickitty - May 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I would probably give a 23 year old a few more years before declaring that he’s nothing special. Yount didn’t have a single season with an OPS higher than .752 before his age 24 season … was he nothing special too?

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I don’t really buy most of this.

First of all, I don’t think you even listened to the audio as it was clearly satire and by no means should it provoke comments about Atlanta’s “history of crowning baseball players who end up sucking” … a comment I find somewhat baseless, to be totally honest.

Furthermore, Jason Heyward is 23 years old. He hasn’t “turned out to be” anything yet.

I also don’t see how Jeff Francouer (sic) “blew up in their face.” They paid Francoeur well under $5 million for around four seasons of baseball, two of which were solid years and undoubtedly the most productive of his career. They more than got their money’s worth from him and cut bait relatively early rather than grant him raises during his arbitration years in some ill-conceived hope that he’d ever return to the productivity of his early days in the league.

I do agree with one thing you said: We’ll see with Gattis. He’s doing some awesome things for the team right now and if he never gets another hit he’ll have been worth the 23rd round pick and whatever money they’ve paid him to this point. We’re a long way from knowing just what (if anything) he’ll mean to the organization going forward.

• GoneYickitty - May 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Some great points … that have very little into Gattis at this point and they’ve clearly gotten their money’s worth out of him so far. It’s not like this is some bonus baby that they need to be huge to break even.

Fans and media have fun with it, but I don’t think anyone with the Braves is expecting him to be an All Star in the long term. He has some obvious weaknesses that currently preclude him from having that kind of success and while you always hope your young hitter will overcome the basic flaws (such as chasing out of the zone), you can’t count on it.

• atlrod - May 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

1. Gattis is a bench bat. Who is crowning him anything? 2. Jason Heyward has produced seasons with a 131 OPS+ and a 117 OPS+. He’s also one of the best defensive outfielders in baseball and a pretty good baserunner. What a bust. AMIRIGHT?!

7. realgone2 - May 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I’m a Braves fan and I like Gattis but this was stupid.

8. atlfan31833 - May 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

It’s called humor, not sure why people would not get it.

9. jwbiii - May 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Empty beer cans melt themselves in the hopes that they can form my bats.

10. Uncle Charlie - May 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Is Gattis the new tomahawk chop for all the baseball illiterate Braves fans?

• socalskinsfan21 - May 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

nats all day

11. indaburg - May 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Funny stuff.

He’s from the mountains of Tibet? Here’s someone who may be pure enough in spirit and soul for js2001314159265358979323846.

• stlouis1baseball - May 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Not sure how to do so while maintaining some anonymity with everyone else.
      Yeah…paranoid.

12. gabrielthursday - May 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It’s the same thing as Chuck Norris facts- a positive view of the guy is gently put across by making completely outlandish statements. Not sure if the genre has a name, but it’s not satire.

Ace-killer Giants do it again