May 23, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
The Mets first baseman is having a train wreck of a season thus far. He’s hitting .147/.236/.245, which is horrible even on a horrible Mets offense. And his poor hitting seems to be infecting his fielding too. See, yesterday’s non-play on a ball he though was foul but which he turned into a game-killing double.
With all of Ike Davis‘ struggles, there has been a growing chorus calling for him to be demoted to Las Vegas. But it hasn’t happened yet. Why? Andy Martino of the Daily News has multiple possible explanations. This one sort of seems the most satisfying, though:
One source said that Sandy Alderson is out of town until Friday. This is not a determining factor, but it is not trivial, either; if the team is going to demote a core player, the general manager would want to be in the meeting, able to explain the decision to Davis.
It would be hard for a guy who has been told he’s one of the franchise’s cornerstones to be sent down via a cell phone call, so maybe that’s what everyone is waiting for. But Martino has some non-logistical answers too.
No matter the case, it’s been ugly so far for Davis. Whether it’s Queens or Vegas, he’s gotta figure it out soon.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (97)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)