May 23, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
The Mets first baseman is having a train wreck of a season thus far. He’s hitting .147/.236/.245, which is horrible even on a horrible Mets offense. And his poor hitting seems to be infecting his fielding too. See, yesterday’s non-play on a ball he though was foul but which he turned into a game-killing double.
With all of Ike Davis‘ struggles, there has been a growing chorus calling for him to be demoted to Las Vegas. But it hasn’t happened yet. Why? Andy Martino of the Daily News has multiple possible explanations. This one sort of seems the most satisfying, though:
One source said that Sandy Alderson is out of town until Friday. This is not a determining factor, but it is not trivial, either; if the team is going to demote a core player, the general manager would want to be in the meeting, able to explain the decision to Davis.
It would be hard for a guy who has been told he’s one of the franchise’s cornerstones to be sent down via a cell phone call, so maybe that’s what everyone is waiting for. But Martino has some non-logistical answers too.
No matter the case, it’s been ugly so far for Davis. Whether it’s Queens or Vegas, he’s gotta figure it out soon.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)