May 23, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
The Mets first baseman is having a train wreck of a season thus far. He’s hitting .147/.236/.245, which is horrible even on a horrible Mets offense. And his poor hitting seems to be infecting his fielding too. See, yesterday’s non-play on a ball he though was foul but which he turned into a game-killing double.
With all of Ike Davis‘ struggles, there has been a growing chorus calling for him to be demoted to Las Vegas. But it hasn’t happened yet. Why? Andy Martino of the Daily News has multiple possible explanations. This one sort of seems the most satisfying, though:
One source said that Sandy Alderson is out of town until Friday. This is not a determining factor, but it is not trivial, either; if the team is going to demote a core player, the general manager would want to be in the meeting, able to explain the decision to Davis.
It would be hard for a guy who has been told he’s one of the franchise’s cornerstones to be sent down via a cell phone call, so maybe that’s what everyone is waiting for. But Martino has some non-logistical answers too.
No matter the case, it’s been ugly so far for Davis. Whether it’s Queens or Vegas, he’s gotta figure it out soon.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)