May 23, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
The Mets first baseman is having a train wreck of a season thus far. He’s hitting .147/.236/.245, which is horrible even on a horrible Mets offense. And his poor hitting seems to be infecting his fielding too. See, yesterday’s non-play on a ball he though was foul but which he turned into a game-killing double.
With all of Ike Davis‘ struggles, there has been a growing chorus calling for him to be demoted to Las Vegas. But it hasn’t happened yet. Why? Andy Martino of the Daily News has multiple possible explanations. This one sort of seems the most satisfying, though:
One source said that Sandy Alderson is out of town until Friday. This is not a determining factor, but it is not trivial, either; if the team is going to demote a core player, the general manager would want to be in the meeting, able to explain the decision to Davis.
It would be hard for a guy who has been told he’s one of the franchise’s cornerstones to be sent down via a cell phone call, so maybe that’s what everyone is waiting for. But Martino has some non-logistical answers too.
No matter the case, it’s been ugly so far for Davis. Whether it’s Queens or Vegas, he’s gotta figure it out soon.
Dec 22, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
“It’s too soon to know if Scutaro will ever take the field again.”
Dec 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
I got, like, 17 guys I’d put in. But I’ll pretend I can only pick ten.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Another comeback attempt in San Diego.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
And it looks weird. But then again, everything looks weird there, doesn’t it?
Dec 22, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
We could probably all write one of these. But ours would be a lot less useful to our younger selves than Doc Gooden’s is to his younger self.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
The Pirates have 30 days to reach an agreement with Kang or else he goes back to his KBO team.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Bell was an All-Star as recently as 2011.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
The ultimate minor league “where are they now?”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
“You see what’s going on, but …”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Who will tell us that they’re “takin’ it one game at a time” now?!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
He’ll be under team control through 2019.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
Taped baseballs and Yankees fans.
Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Understated, it is not.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Wil Myers was rumored to be a potential target for the Phillies in a trade involving Cole Hamels, but it turns out the Padres plan to hang on to him.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Wil Ledezma will attempt to return to the major leagues with the Twins after signing a minor league deal.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Marco Scutaro’s 2014 season was tarnished by a chronic back ailment. The Giants’ training staff is preparing an update on the 39-year-old and it may not be good news.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
If spring training were to start today, Yankees GM Brian Cashman would have Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela compete for the starting job at second base.
In which someone describes A-Rod, B.J. Upton and Ryan Howard as potential offensive options for a team
Dec 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
This needs to happen, people.
George Steinbrenner’s foundation will pay for the education of the children of the slain NYPD officer
Dec 21, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
The Silver Shield Foundation has done so for 32 years.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)