May 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez has no-hit the Twins through seven innings tonight in Detroit. The only base runners he has allowed came on walks to Jamey Carroll and Chris Parmelee, and he has retired each of the last 17 batters he has faced. Parmelee, Eduardo Escobar, and Aaron Hicks are slated to face Sanchez when he heads back out for the eighth inning. His first pitch of the inning will be his 100th of the night.
We’ll keep you posted as Sanchez attempts to capture the no-no.
This would mark Sanchez’s second incredible start of the season. He struck out 17 Braves over eight innings against the Braves on April 28. It would be the second no-hitter of his career, as he previously accomplished the feat on September 6, 2006 against the Diamondbacks.
Update (9:30 PM) — Sanchez has kept the Twins hitless through eight. His consecutive batters retired streak ended at 18 with a one-out walk to Escobar in the eighth. He’ll enter the ninth inning having thrown 114 pitches and will face Carroll, Joe Mauer, and Josh Willingham.
Update #2 (9:40 PM) — Sanchez lost his no-hit bid with one out in the ninth, as Joe Mauer laced a single up the middle.
Update #3 (9:45 PM) — Sanchez finished the game shut-out, a 130-pitch effort. His final line: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 12 K.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (174)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)