May 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez has no-hit the Twins through seven innings tonight in Detroit. The only base runners he has allowed came on walks to Jamey Carroll and Chris Parmelee, and he has retired each of the last 17 batters he has faced. Parmelee, Eduardo Escobar, and Aaron Hicks are slated to face Sanchez when he heads back out for the eighth inning. His first pitch of the inning will be his 100th of the night.
We’ll keep you posted as Sanchez attempts to capture the no-no.
This would mark Sanchez’s second incredible start of the season. He struck out 17 Braves over eight innings against the Braves on April 28. It would be the second no-hitter of his career, as he previously accomplished the feat on September 6, 2006 against the Diamondbacks.
Update (9:30 PM) — Sanchez has kept the Twins hitless through eight. His consecutive batters retired streak ended at 18 with a one-out walk to Escobar in the eighth. He’ll enter the ninth inning having thrown 114 pitches and will face Carroll, Joe Mauer, and Josh Willingham.
Update #2 (9:40 PM) — Sanchez lost his no-hit bid with one out in the ninth, as Joe Mauer laced a single up the middle.
Update #3 (9:45 PM) — Sanchez finished the game shut-out, a 130-pitch effort. His final line: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 12 K.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)