May 24, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson was hit in the hand by Rays reliever Cesar Ramos in the fifth inning of tonight’s game against the Rays. He stayed in the game to run the bases, scoring on a bases loaded walk by Jayson Nix, but exited before the top of the sixth. Ichiro Suzuki took his place in right field.
Granderson missed his team’s first 38 games of the season recovering from a fractured right forearm suffered early in spring training. Losing Granderson, who hit 43 home runs last year, even for 15 days would be a crushing blow to the Yankees, already besieged by injuries to key players.
Update: It’s a broken left pinky knuckle, per Buster Olney.
Yankees announce Curtis Granderson has a broken hand — lefty pinky knuckle. Unbelievable.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) May 25, 2013
Apr 18, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday around MLB, including the exploits of Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:17 AM EDT
There are, increasingly, two Angels camps when it comes to the Josh Hamilton matter: Arte Moreno and everybody else.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:49 AM EDT
When Angels owner Arte Moreno was asked if Josh Hamilton would ever play for the Angels again, he said “I will not say that.” With this listing, perhaps Hamilton is saying so himself.
Ruben Amaro on Andy Oliver’s decision to elect free agency: “I think it was a very foolish move on his part, but that’s OK.”
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Ruben Amaro seems a little upset that Andy Oliver didn’t want to start the season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets will be stretching out Rafael Montero as a starter at Triple-A Las Vegas before bringing him back to the majors for a spot start against the Marlins.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Mike Trout became the youngest to join the 100/100 club with a two-run home run on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has two home runs on Friday night, leaving him two round-trippers shy of tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Matt Carpenter made a cool maneuver to score the tying run in the bottom of the first against the Reds on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Neither side was warned, but Ubaldo Jimenez was ejected for hitting Pablo Sandoval with a pitch on Friday evening.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
A-Rod is now three home runs away from tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Since 2000, how often have teams that started 9-1 went on to have playoff success?
Apr 17, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Mark Buehrle, baseball’s timeless left-hander, is reportedly considering retiring after the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Well, he’s certainly not getting the support of the Los Angeles Angels.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
Duensing had an ugly outing Thursday in which he turned a blowout into a save situation for closer Glen Perkins.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Ryan Goins, who was called up from Triple-A, is expected to be Reyes’ primary fill-in at shortstop.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
And call up infielder Danny Muno.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
OK, maybe that’s a bit strong.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Sanchez was the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Left-hander Kyle Lobstein will continue to fill in for Verlander.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)