May 24, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
There’s a lot of projecting Miguel Cabrera‘s season forward going on today. Saw Buster Olney doing it on Twitter. They’re doing it at High Heat Stats today too. If you play the on-pace game, Cabrera could have, like, 200 RBI.
Odds don’t favor that, of course. He’s likely to slump at some point. Well, maybe. He kind of looks like he’s NEVER going to slump, to be honst. He’s just impossible to pitch to these days. If you haven’t had a chance to watch many Tigers games lately make a point to see some, because it’s not often you see someone toying with pitchers the way Cabrera has been lately.
But I am torn about this whole on-pace thing. On the one hand, I’d like to see him challenge a record of some kind because history is fun. And the record most in need of challenging in my view is Hack Wilson’s RBI record. That needs refreshing, I think, if for no other reason than that I selfishly and subjectively think a player better than Hack Wilson should hold that record.
On the other hand, I’m not sure what I’d do if a historic season for Cabrera turned into months of people talking about how what Cabrera is doing proves that RBI is a be-all, end-all statistic when it clearly isn’t in terms of individual player evaluation. Man, that would make the old school crowd insufferable.
Maybe we can compromise and he can challenge .400. Batting average is flawed too, but not nearly as much as RBI. I think I could live with overheated batting average talk better.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)