Don Sutton is really, really slick

May 24, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Don Sutton

Barry Bloom of MLB.com has a fun, wide-ranging interview with Don Sutton. Lots of good stuff in there as Sutton is never short of opinions. But this is easily my favorite part:

MLB.com: Did you cheat?

Sutton: No, I never got caught cheating.

Bloom did not, sadly, follow up on that. Maybe his mind was blown by how slick an answer it was.

Not that we really need him to follow up. In 1978 he was ejected and suspended 10 days for defacing the ball, but he threatened to sue the National League and they backed off for some reason. He was also caught on video late in his career with what looked like sandpaper taped to the palm of his hand. Like I said, he was slick.

1. stlouis1baseball - May 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Whew! I read this as “sick” in lieu of “slick.”
    Glad he is doing well.

• cur68 - May 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM

So did I. Glad he’s ok. The Ole Cheater.

• bigharold - May 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Isn’t it Ye ole cheater?

2. mybrunoblog - May 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Anyone who gets away with having a mullet/perm in 2013 must be defined as slick.

• stlouis1baseball - May 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Hahaha! The ole’ Mullet Perm…circa 2013.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM

In fairness, the picture Craig used is 15 years old. It’s from his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Not that it was a good look in 1998, either, but at least he sorta has the mullet aspect of it under control in more recent days:

That’s from the 2011 ceremony at which the Braves retired Bobby Cox’s number.

3. schmedley69 - May 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Maybe that’s why he wore the perm in the first place? You can hide a lot of foreign objects/substances in that birds nest.

• heyblueyoustink - May 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM

If that’s the working theory, then Trump must have a hidden kingdom in that world on top of his dome: The Lion, The Witch, and the Hair do.

4. misterj167 - May 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Don is one of the few remaining great announcers left, all the announcers on any FOX Sports channel sound and look alike, and they all suck, IMO. Of course I had been spoiled for most of my baseball-watching life: I grew up in Brooklyn as a Mets fan and got to listen to Ralph Kiner, Bob Murphy and Lindsey Nelson, then when we moved to Florida in 1979 and all we could see was the Braves on TCG which became TBS I got to listen to Skip, Pete and Ernie, another great trio. I love listening to Don Sutton now whenever I can.

• bla bla bla - May 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I’ve not had the pleasure of listening to Don although I’ve heard he’s quite good. On the other hand, I have had the extreme displeasure of listening to his chuckleheaded son, Darron, who should be stricken mute by all that is Holy.

5. Kevin Gillman - May 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I always liked Don as a commentator too. He broadcasted some good Braves teams, and some bad. Whether they played well or not, he never sugar coated it, either. He and Skip were always fun to listen to.

6. 6stn - May 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

A reason for the mullet/perm may be the ears. Check out his 1967 Topps baseball card sometime.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3362)