Evan Gattis returns to New York under better circumstances

May 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

Evan Gattis

The Braves are in Queens, New York tonight to open up a three-game series against the Mets. Catcher Evan Gattis isn’t starting, but figures to be used as a pinch-hitter late in the game if the Braves are in need of some offense, as the 26-year-old came up with two big home runs recently: on Saturday, Gattis broke an eighth-inning 0-0 tie with a two-run home run off of Kenley Jansen; on Tuesday, he tied the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth with a solo home run off of Glen Perkins; and on Wednesday, he boosted the Braves’ lead to 8-0 with a fourth inning grand slam off of Vance Worley.

It wasn’t always easy. As MLB.com’s Mark Bowman reports, the last time Gattis was in New York, he was out of baseball and begging for food and money.

When Gattis attempted to get money from an ATM machine to buy a hot dog on the fourth day of that five-day trip, he learned he was penniless. His account showed a negative $17, and he was not scheduled to fly back home out of John F. Kennedy International Airport until the next night.

“I was like, ‘What am I going to do?’” Gattis said. “I just lost it. I was so beaten. I was bawling, crying. I was trying to sell clothes. I was like, ‘You want a bag of clothes so I can get on a train to get to JFK?’”

Things have turned around for Gattis, who spent this afternoon at MLB’s Fan Cave in New York dressed up as a polar bear for some reason.

1. jjestes32 - May 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

He dressed up because he’s El Oso Blanco! Meaning: The White Bear.

Best nickname in any sport right now.

• Bill Baer - May 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Ah, did not know that. Thanks. I should have taken Spanish instead of French in high school.

haricots verts

• ezthinking - May 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You took French in high school? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! Must have though Quebec was going to be the next superpower in North America.

Oh. Hot chicks take French in high school? Never mind.

2. weaselpuppy - May 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Research backstory but don’t know popular nickname???

really?

3. amploud - May 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

“…Gattis broke an eighth-inning 0-0 tie with a two-run home run off of Kenley Jansen…”

I’m pretty sure the Dodgers were up 1-0 when he hit that pinch homer on Saturday. I was there and mostly-sober.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4950)