May 24, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira laid out his rehab schedule for Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, saying the current plan calls for him to play four games in the minors next week and then come off the disabled list to rejoin the Yankees by the end of the week.
It’s worth noting that Teixeira has repeatedly laid out other plans for a return that ultimately didn’t happen, including initially saying he’d be back by May 1, but the Yankees first baseman is definitely getting close if he can avoid any setbacks.
Teixeira has been on the disabled list all season and if he returns next weekend he’ll have missed around 55 games with a wrist injury suffered during the World Baseball Classic. Fill-in first baseman Lyle Overbay has hit .250 with seven homers and a solid .467 slugging percentage in 44 games, but he’s also made a ton of outs with a lowly .286 on-base percentage.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)