May 24, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira laid out his rehab schedule for Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, saying the current plan calls for him to play four games in the minors next week and then come off the disabled list to rejoin the Yankees by the end of the week.
It’s worth noting that Teixeira has repeatedly laid out other plans for a return that ultimately didn’t happen, including initially saying he’d be back by May 1, but the Yankees first baseman is definitely getting close if he can avoid any setbacks.
Teixeira has been on the disabled list all season and if he returns next weekend he’ll have missed around 55 games with a wrist injury suffered during the World Baseball Classic. Fill-in first baseman Lyle Overbay has hit .250 with seven homers and a solid .467 slugging percentage in 44 games, but he’s also made a ton of outs with a lowly .286 on-base percentage.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)