May 24, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira laid out his rehab schedule for Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, saying the current plan calls for him to play four games in the minors next week and then come off the disabled list to rejoin the Yankees by the end of the week.
It’s worth noting that Teixeira has repeatedly laid out other plans for a return that ultimately didn’t happen, including initially saying he’d be back by May 1, but the Yankees first baseman is definitely getting close if he can avoid any setbacks.
Teixeira has been on the disabled list all season and if he returns next weekend he’ll have missed around 55 games with a wrist injury suffered during the World Baseball Classic. Fill-in first baseman Lyle Overbay has hit .250 with seven homers and a solid .467 slugging percentage in 44 games, but he’s also made a ton of outs with a lowly .286 on-base percentage.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)