May 24, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Victorino has a strained hamstring and Middlebrooks has lower back spasms, and Boston has added infielder Jose Iglesias and right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A to replace them.
Iglesias, who’s normally a slick-fielding (and weak-hitting) shortstop, is starting at third base tonight in place of Middlebrooks, who hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games following an impressive rookie campaign last year.
Aceves returns almost a month after being banished to Triple-A, where he started four games with a 3.13 ERA and 21/11 K/BB ratio in 23 innings. He had an 8.66 ERA in 18 innings for the Red Sox before the demotion.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 23
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 62
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)