May 24, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Victorino has a strained hamstring and Middlebrooks has lower back spasms, and Boston has added infielder Jose Iglesias and right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A to replace them.
Iglesias, who’s normally a slick-fielding (and weak-hitting) shortstop, is starting at third base tonight in place of Middlebrooks, who hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games following an impressive rookie campaign last year.
Aceves returns almost a month after being banished to Triple-A, where he started four games with a 3.13 ERA and 21/11 K/BB ratio in 23 innings. He had an 8.66 ERA in 18 innings for the Red Sox before the demotion.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8