May 24, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Victorino has a strained hamstring and Middlebrooks has lower back spasms, and Boston has added infielder Jose Iglesias and right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A to replace them.
Iglesias, who’s normally a slick-fielding (and weak-hitting) shortstop, is starting at third base tonight in place of Middlebrooks, who hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games following an impressive rookie campaign last year.
Aceves returns almost a month after being banished to Triple-A, where he started four games with a 3.13 ERA and 21/11 K/BB ratio in 23 innings. He had an 8.66 ERA in 18 innings for the Red Sox before the demotion.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)