May 24, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Not long ago the Mariners benched Brendan Ryan for Robert Andino. Not realizing, it seemed, that while neither of then could hit their way out of a wet paper bag, at least Ryan could flash some serious leather. Someone finally figured that out, however: Andino has been designated for assignment.
Andino was hitting .184/.253/.237 in 85 plate appearances to Ryan’s .191/.264/.236. Given that Andino can play short, second, third and the outfield if need be, there’s still a chance he latches on someplace else as a super sub, however. Depending on your definition of super.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106