Angel Hernandez blows game-winner, Hawk Harrelson displeased

May 25, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT

Alex Rios

It wasn’t a very good night for first-base umpires Friday. Angel Hernandez cost the White Sox a win over the Marlins in the 10th, though they did come back and prevail in the 11th anyway.

MLB.com has the video and, more importantly, also has the audio as Hawk Harrelson reacts to the call. Alex Rios was ruled out on an inning-ending double play that should have been a fielder’s choice with the winning run scoring from third. Fortunately, the White Sox scored for real an inning later when Jeff Keppinger singled in pinch-runner Tyler Greene.

White Sox manager Robin Ventura responded afterwards, shrugging off the call:

1. normcash - May 25, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Hernandez can’t even get calls right WITH a video review. What’s it take for some of these guys
    to lose their jobs?

• theskinsman - May 25, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Thank the Umpire’s Union. Protecting the incompetent and defective, that’s got to be their mission statement.

• Old Gator - May 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

The league has all the authority it needs built into its agreement with the umps to discipline or demote Hernandez. It pursues a no-ripple effect for its own purposes – one of which, under Bud Light, is to keep things calm as possible, and another is to minimize actions that would allow proponents of instant replay to say, see, we told you so. This may change once the dribbling fool finally rots out from under himself and is replaced by someone without a comparable buildup of fatty plaque on his synapses. Try thinking through a situation instead of puking up a pre-recorded sound byte next time.

• theskinsman - May 26, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Try to pontificate at someone who might be impressed with your rendition of Rocky and Bullwinkle’s “Mr. Know it all”

Who exactly died and left you the king of all knowledge here?
        Try accepting that others have opinions that don’t always match up with yours.
        While you obviously value your take on everything, I don’t. I’ll think for myself and form my own opinions. Think through that, you pompous twit.

• 18thstreet - May 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Okay, so the call was wrong. But it was a REALLY close play. And the White Sox won anyway.

I’m not a White Sox fan, but I can imagine this happening to my team. I can’t get remotely worked up over this. Is there something wrong with me? Seriously. There’s a difference between a wrong call and a bad call. This is a wrong call, but not that bad. Harrelson sounds like I would have at age 8.

• paperlions - May 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

That actually wasn’t a close play at all. There are 1/2 dozen closer plays every game, most of which the umpires get right. This was a pretty routine call. Hernandez is just horrible at his job.

• 18thstreet - May 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

If this weren’t Hernandez (or Joe West), would you feel as strongly? His past incompetence is being held against him regarding THIS call. I think he’s terrible. I don’t think THIS call is evidence of that terrible-ness.

• rlj2170 - May 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

18thstreet…reread your post please.do you not understand that this was a crucial call of the outcome of the game? it was already in extra innings and had to continue. you seem forgiving because the whitesox won anyways.that doesnt make his call any less important. at this level,umpires should be held accountable for the “mistakes” they make

• moogro - May 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Look where Hernandez is standing. Why? That’s what makes it extra lame.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

His past incompetence SHOULD be held against him. If someone routinely fails to acceptability perform their job, they should be removed from that job. It’s like, dog poops in the house, and yes you’re upset about that. But when that dog poops in the house every day for a month, and that dog has been given training, and has been evaluated for any medical condition, and that dog is still pooping in the house, common logic dictates it’s time to put the dog outside. Angel has blown game deciding calls at least TWICE this year alone. And that’s not even bringing the years of daily blown calls into the equation. This guy has changed the outcome of MULTIPLE ball games with his mistakes. It’s time for a new job. Even my recreational softball league doesn’t deserve this clown.

2. twayward - May 25, 2013 at 5:05 AM

solution: trade Angel Hernandez to men’s college basketball (where appalling calls are delivered by the bushel) for a ref to be named later.

3. proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I blame some of the things that happened in games last night on the full moon; however, not in this instance as bad calls by Angel happen all the time.

• natslady - May 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

There was a full moon last night? According to my calendar, we don’t get ours until tonight… strange country ya got there, proudly.

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I believe that it occurred shortly after midnight.

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

It happened at 12:25 AM EDT. In Chicago the time was on Friday at 11:25 PM. 9:25 PDT

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

By the way, I am about to take off for most of the day and will miss some afternoon games. Would you kindly tell the Baltimore fans that I share their faith in Freddie Garcia?

• spellingcops - May 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Most people look outside for the moon, not their calendar. It was as full as could be in our country too.

4. baseballisboring - May 25, 2013 at 5:10 AM

tee dubya tee dubya

5. kiwicricket - May 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM

It’s remarkable how Hawk sounds exactly like the drunk obnoxious guy next to you in a bar watching the game.

• wonderkt - May 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

That’s exactly why Sox fans love him.

• 18thstreet - May 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Do they? I wouldn’t want this from my announcer.

• hammyofdoom - May 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Ya know, the Red Sox were down about a dozen runs a few game ago and Jerry Remy got bored and decided to do a “homer” inning. You know, saying things like “I got a good feeling Don, we can get back in this. Come on Papi hit one out!” It was funny, but even THEN it wasn’t as bad as Hawk and I wouldnt want it all the damn time

• cur68 - May 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Just for the hell of it I listened to Harrelson’s schtick in the bottom of the 10th last night. How can a person say that much and offer so little actual information? The comment of that inning was from a friend who said “He’s worse than McCarver”. That’s true. He is. He craps on and on about the same point, long after its lost any meaning to the game. He is so blatantly rooting for the ChiSox that you’d swear they turned the team mascot loose with the mike, and then, just to really round out the obnoxious, he considers statements like “the kid has to throw strikes” as truly profound information that the listener needs to know.

Here’s a tip, Hawk: we KNOW the kid needs to throw strikes. What’s he doing wrong SUCH THAT HE ISN’T THROWING STRIKES, moron? When McCarver says that, he’ll occasionally follow up with a reason WHY the kid might be missing (if Buck hasn’t gone off on some football related fact). When Hawk Harrelson says that, he follows up by repeating THE SAME ‘EFFIN STATEMENT or lapsing back into an extended umpire rant. Its just maddening.

I muted the game from there.

6. callmeseth - May 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I would really appreciate it if you didn’t have the video start playing automatically. It scares my cat.

7. rlj2170 - May 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I would like to see how Joe Torre will explain this one. this should be strike 2 for Angel and he should be suspended for it. Strike 3 should be his removal from the major league system

8. wonderkt - May 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Angel Hernandez is in the middle of crap like this multiple times each year. Apparently competence is not a requirement to keep one’s job as an umpire.

If he can ice skate, he’d be perfect as a referee for the NHL.

9. waiverclaim - May 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Angel Hernanez has done NOTHING to warrant keeping his job as a professional umpire. He MUST be fired. This is a billion dollar business here!

10. westpalmlion - May 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Haven’t seen such awful umpiring since Enrico Palazzo at the end of the first naked gun movie..

• sophiethegreatdane - May 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

At least Enrico saved the Queen.

11. thomas844 - May 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hawk is easily the most irritating broadcaster in baseball.

12. largebill - May 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

It’s not just in the Majors. Last night the 13 y/o team I’m helping coach had two blown calls at first against us in one inning. Even from 3B coaching box I could see one clearly. Well, between innings a dad said something like “You missed two calls that innings.” Ump threw him out of the game. No warning, just gone. The next dad over asked “Am I tossed too?” Ump looked at him quizzically and he said “I saw same thing he did so might as well throw me out.” So the ump did. As the manager is getting the balls thrown in by the guys warming up he calmly said to the ump “You got a really short fuse.” No big confrontation, just the off hand comment. Boom, he’s gone too.

• 18thstreet - May 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Does everyone want to blame the MLB umpires’ union for this, too?

• largebill - May 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Nope. I’m for blaming an individual for an individual’s actions.

13. eightyraw - May 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

The Will to Whine

14. djpostl - May 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

As bad as Hernandez is he isn’t half the tool Hawk is. I’d despise having that assclown call my favorite team’s games.

15. smillr58 - May 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quit your constant whining Chicken Hawk Harrelson and just call the game or get your ancient assclown ass off the air…

16. andreweac - May 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Can we please designated this clown for assignment already? How about to the North Korea little league system?

• malbrecht4 - May 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

hee gawn!

17. ziplock10 - May 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Roberto Alomar was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angel is THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3012)