May 25, 2013, 10:07 AM EST
The Braves currently sit at 28-18 on the season and hold a four-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East, but they could get even stronger soon.
Brandon Beachy began a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and allowed two runs over four innings. The 26-year-old right-hander has already thrown in simulated games and extended spring training, but this was his first official start since he underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow last June.
As so often happens after Tommy John surgery, Beachy’s control was a bit shaky, as he walked three and threw just 35 out of 70 pitches for strikes. Still, reports on his velocity have been pretty positive thus far, so the strength is there.
Pitchers are permitted to spend a maximum of 30 days on a rehab assignment and Beachy figures to need most of it. However, he should be back in the majors by the end of June if all goes well. The Braves could have a tough decision to make about their rotation when that time comes, but that’s a nice problem to have.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)