May 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
While the Dodgers lost 7-0 to the Cardinals last night and currently sit at 19-27 on the season, they aren’t about to rush Hanley Ramirez back from his left hamstring injury.
Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Ramirez ran curves, took batting practice and fielded ground balls before last night’s game. He estimated that he’s only running at about 85 percent, but he plans to test his hamstring by running the bases today.
Ramirez returned from a torn thumb ligament on April 29, but he strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on a slide into third base. While he hopes to begin a minor league rehab assignment “soon,” he was told by teammate Matt Kemp that he shouldn’t push himself too soon. Kemp should know, as he made it back from a left hamstring strain as soon as he was eligible last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and ended up missing six weeks.
“They know what’s happened before to guys that try to come back early and it didn’t work,” Ramirez said. “[Kemp] told me you have to be 100 percent and don’t try to come back early. By the time I get back, I want to make it all the way to the end of the season.”
Ramirez was originally given a timetable of 4-6 weeks, so he appears on track to rejoin the Dodgers in early-to-mid June.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)