May 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
While the Dodgers lost 7-0 to the Cardinals last night and currently sit at 19-27 on the season, they aren’t about to rush Hanley Ramirez back from his left hamstring injury.
Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Ramirez ran curves, took batting practice and fielded ground balls before last night’s game. He estimated that he’s only running at about 85 percent, but he plans to test his hamstring by running the bases today.
Ramirez returned from a torn thumb ligament on April 29, but he strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on a slide into third base. While he hopes to begin a minor league rehab assignment “soon,” he was told by teammate Matt Kemp that he shouldn’t push himself too soon. Kemp should know, as he made it back from a left hamstring strain as soon as he was eligible last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and ended up missing six weeks.
“They know what’s happened before to guys that try to come back early and it didn’t work,” Ramirez said. “[Kemp] told me you have to be 100 percent and don’t try to come back early. By the time I get back, I want to make it all the way to the end of the season.”
Ramirez was originally given a timetable of 4-6 weeks, so he appears on track to rejoin the Dodgers in early-to-mid June.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (110)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)