May 25, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Behind five shutout innings from starter Billy Buckner and four shutout innings from the bullpen, the Angels blanked the Royals 7-0 this afternoon. Hank Conger and Josh Hamilton each contributed solo home runs to aid in the offensive effort. The win is the Angels’ seventh in a row, bringing their record up to 22-27. They’re still 9.5 games behind the 31-17 Rangers, who play the Mariners later tonight.
Over those seven games, the Angels have received some much-improved starting pitching, but they really have Mike Trout to thank. He contributed a cycle on May 21 and had multi-hit games in four consecutive games entering today. Trout ended April with a .766 OPS, but it was .963 after last night’s victory.
With Jered Weaver on his way back and the Angels starting to hit their stride, better fortune may await them in the coming months. On May 25 last season, the Indians led the AL Central at 26-19 with a five game lead. The Tigers ended up winning the division; the Indians finished in fourth place, 20 games back. This isn’t to say there’s a remotely likely chance that happens to the Rangers and Angels, but it is just a reminder that the standings at the end of May may not hold through the final four months. In other words: don’t write off the Angels just yet.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)