May 25, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Behind five shutout innings from starter Billy Buckner and four shutout innings from the bullpen, the Angels blanked the Royals 7-0 this afternoon. Hank Conger and Josh Hamilton each contributed solo home runs to aid in the offensive effort. The win is the Angels’ seventh in a row, bringing their record up to 22-27. They’re still 9.5 games behind the 31-17 Rangers, who play the Mariners later tonight.
Over those seven games, the Angels have received some much-improved starting pitching, but they really have Mike Trout to thank. He contributed a cycle on May 21 and had multi-hit games in four consecutive games entering today. Trout ended April with a .766 OPS, but it was .963 after last night’s victory.
With Jered Weaver on his way back and the Angels starting to hit their stride, better fortune may await them in the coming months. On May 25 last season, the Indians led the AL Central at 26-19 with a five game lead. The Tigers ended up winning the division; the Indians finished in fourth place, 20 games back. This isn’t to say there’s a remotely likely chance that happens to the Rangers and Angels, but it is just a reminder that the standings at the end of May may not hold through the final four months. In other words: don’t write off the Angels just yet.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 99
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 73
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (101)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)