May 25, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Behind five shutout innings from starter Billy Buckner and four shutout innings from the bullpen, the Angels blanked the Royals 7-0 this afternoon. Hank Conger and Josh Hamilton each contributed solo home runs to aid in the offensive effort. The win is the Angels’ seventh in a row, bringing their record up to 22-27. They’re still 9.5 games behind the 31-17 Rangers, who play the Mariners later tonight.
Over those seven games, the Angels have received some much-improved starting pitching, but they really have Mike Trout to thank. He contributed a cycle on May 21 and had multi-hit games in four consecutive games entering today. Trout ended April with a .766 OPS, but it was .963 after last night’s victory.
With Jered Weaver on his way back and the Angels starting to hit their stride, better fortune may await them in the coming months. On May 25 last season, the Indians led the AL Central at 26-19 with a five game lead. The Tigers ended up winning the division; the Indians finished in fourth place, 20 games back. This isn’t to say there’s a remotely likely chance that happens to the Rangers and Angels, but it is just a reminder that the standings at the end of May may not hold through the final four months. In other words: don’t write off the Angels just yet.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 15
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)