May 25, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Rays closer Fernando Rodney, who saved 48 games last year while posting a 0.60 ERA, has had a lot of issues to start 2013. With the Rays up 3-1 in the ninth inning, Rodney served up an RBI double to Brennan Boesch and an RBI single to Brett Gardner to tie the game at three-all, the right-hander’s fifth blown save of the season in 14 attempts. His ERA now stands at 6.05.
Maddon yesterday reiterated that Rodney was his closer and “there was not even a discussion about it”, tweeted Mark Topkin.
The Rays entered the day with the second-worst bullpen ERA at 4.90, barely ahead of the Astros at 4.99. If the Rays do wind up making a change, Joel Peralta — the only reliable arm in the bullpen for the Rays thus far — would likely assume the closer’s role as he has a 1.99 ERA.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)