May 25, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Rays closer Fernando Rodney, who saved 48 games last year while posting a 0.60 ERA, has had a lot of issues to start 2013. With the Rays up 3-1 in the ninth inning, Rodney served up an RBI double to Brennan Boesch and an RBI single to Brett Gardner to tie the game at three-all, the right-hander’s fifth blown save of the season in 14 attempts. His ERA now stands at 6.05.
Maddon yesterday reiterated that Rodney was his closer and “there was not even a discussion about it”, tweeted Mark Topkin.
The Rays entered the day with the second-worst bullpen ERA at 4.90, barely ahead of the Astros at 4.99. If the Rays do wind up making a change, Joel Peralta — the only reliable arm in the bullpen for the Rays thus far — would likely assume the closer’s role as he has a 1.99 ERA.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)