Fernando Rodney blows another save

May 25, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT

Fernando Rodney Getty Getty Images

Rays closer Fernando Rodney, who saved 48 games last year while posting a 0.60 ERA, has had a lot of issues to start 2013. With the Rays up 3-1 in the ninth inning, Rodney served up an RBI double to Brennan Boesch and an RBI single to Brett Gardner to tie the game at three-all, the right-hander’s fifth blown save of the season in 14 attempts. His ERA now stands at 6.05.

Maddon yesterday reiterated that Rodney was his closer and “there was not even a discussion about it”, tweeted Mark Topkin.

The Rays entered the day with the second-worst bullpen ERA at 4.90, barely ahead of the Astros at 4.99. If the Rays do wind up making a change, Joel Peralta — the only reliable arm in the bullpen for the Rays thus far — would likely assume the closer’s role as he has a 1.99 ERA.

1. rbj1 - May 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

So satisfying beating the archer. Mo just calmly walks off the mound and shakes his catcher’s hand.

2. randygnyc - May 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

And right-handed rapist, Lueke, choked it up in the 11th.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

This comment has been bugging me all day. Besides the fact that yes, I need a life, for the record as a Rays fan, I freaking hate having this piece of shit on my team. When he pitches, it is the most conflicting feeling. I love my team but I truly hate every second I have to see him. As a woman, it burns me. It’s a slap in the face. I understand why the Rays signed him and the economic realities of their situation. I wish we could afford someone of Rivera’s caliber. Basically, Lueke is the best the Rays could get for the money given his history. Frankly though given the current state of the Rays bullpen, I’d rather be shitty without him than shitty with him. And even if he were pitching well, I’d rather he were gone.

3. proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

The Rays did have another chance to win. They loaded the bases in the bottom of the 10th, but were unable to score the winning run against Ivan The Terrible. They should be ashamed of that. Once Lyle “The Resurrected ” Overbay homered in the 11th it was Mariano time and game over.

• aceshigh11 - May 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The Sandman cometh…

I almost wish he wasn’t retiring. It’s cool for him to go out on a high note, but man…I’d love to see how long he could continue pitching. He could probably continue another 2-3 years with the shape he’s in.

A truly mindblowing athlete.

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

A true gentleman and a remarkable athlete. Fans of other teams admire him.

• pisano - May 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

aces…. I don’t think too many people would argue with you on that post, I honestly believe we’ll never see another one like him.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

speaking of game over the jays lost again and are now 10 1/2 games back….game over…

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Oh, be quiet.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Do you know how painful this is to witness?

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I understand your pain. It must be very frustrating.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I thought we had this one. No one on base, top of the 9th, two strikes on the guy. I thought we had it. There were a couple of questionable strike calls that coulda gone either way. The balk call–Rodney had not been called for a balk since his rookie year as a Tiger–seemed to get in his head. And next thing you know, extra innings. This one really hurts. I thought we had it.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I also thought that you had it against Ivan “The Terrible” Nova.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

You did? I was numb by that point.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I got home late and was only able to follow the last 2 innings. Even Yankee fans are not impressed by Nova’s efforts this season.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I guess Yankee fans have to have something to complain about. Is the view from penthouse too cloudy?

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I am sure that given the injuries, they are in a non drug induced high.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I find myself begrudgingly giving Cashman respect giving all of the Yankee injuries, and how well the team has done. It makes 2013 an even more bitter year for me to take so far. If Yankee fans weren’t insufferable before this year, oy vey.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Look on the bright side. You have not had to live through Toronto’s early season problems.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

You guys have had it rough too, I know. I’ve been watching too. Is there a rule that the roof has to be open when weather conditions permit? When Dickey pitches, that roof should be closed. Controlled conditions are better for the knuckler.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It is much nicer for the fans when the roof is open. Dickey has been dealing with a “knot” in a back muscle that is affecting his knuckle ball. He has also had a minor issue with finger nails. Since he grips the ball with the tips of his fingers, damaged fingernails can also affect his pitches.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Wins are also a nice experience for fans. :-)

If he’s having back and nail issues, even more reason to close that roof and help that knuckleball out a bit. I know there are rules that govern that sort of thing, but I’d find some way.

Those nail issues are recurring. In his book, Dickey wrote about his nail issues. He split a nail right before a start and had to visit a Korean nail shop in Flushing to have an acrylic nail put on. Whatever works.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I understand that today, the Rays took care of their bullpen problem, simply by scoring a lot of runs.

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So, we only need to score 8 runs a game. Cobb helped out the effort too, pitching 8 1/3. If the ump hadn’t blown a call earlier in the game, calling a guy safe who was out by half a step, who knows? Cobb may have had enough juice in the tank to last the whole game.

Nice job by your boys making that comeback. I was rooting for them, and not only because the O’s losing helps my team.

• proudlycanadian - May 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Thanks.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM

as a bluejay fan proudly all you know is pain and just to add some more dickey is on pace now for a 20 loss season. congrats!

• indaburg - May 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I am seriously not in the mood for your inane trolling today, harry. Go back under your bridge and leave him be.

4. connormyboy - May 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Don’t know why anyone is surprised after the year he had last season it wasn’t going to happen again.The Rays are a 500 team at best the rest of the year with this bullpen.

5. mudhead123 - May 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Enjoying every outing I see of Mo this year regardless of the outcome. I don’t know if we will ever see a closer so consistent again in our lifetime

• chill1184 - May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Kimbrel is the closest IMO

6. 13arod - May 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

they need to do something with rodney quick because tampa can’t afford to keep on losing because of rodney

• beachnbaseball - May 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

They could start by making him fix the stupid way he wears his hat. I think the tilt of the brim deflects the direction of the pitch.

• abaird2012 - May 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM

+1! I also think this is the reason Rocky Romero’s back in the minors.

• nbjays - May 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

No one worse for this than Pedro Strop.

7. schniz61 - May 26, 2013 at 2:00 AM

okay, okay, stop jerking yourselves off about Rivera. He’s the closer-whisperer. It’s not like he’s The Babe.

8. bracket5 - May 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Anyone have any idea why MLB allows players to wear their hats crooked? Looks so unprofessional and should not be permitted. Rodney, Strop, and CC all do it. No place in the game for that crap.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3316)