Indians manager Terry Francona and Red Sox broadcaster Don Orsillo had a playful wrestling match

May 25, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Indians manager Terry Francona is back in Boston this weekend, so naturally he’s mingling with old friends and former colleagues. And beating them up, too.

Before last night’s game, NESN broadcaster Don Orsillo stopped by the Indians’ dugout to visit Francona and well, it suddenly turned into Wrestlemania. Sideline reporter Jenny Dell documented it all.

Don’t be alarmed, as Francona and Orsillo have had a good-natured feud for a long time. In fact, Orsillo has previously dislocated Francona’s finger for messing with his hair. Stay tuned this weekend to see if any payback is in store for Friday’s attack.

UPDATE: There was actually a nice little recap of the impromptu wrestling match during last night’s rain delay. Check it out below.

1. bigleagues - May 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The only thing surprising about this video is that it’s Francona who initiated the contact. Orsillo has long been perceived as playing for ‘the other team” (not that there’s anything wrong with that), and his giddiness over this event does nothing to suggest otherwise.

Come out Don, Boston will respect you more!

• professor30 - May 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

i believe Orsillo is recently divorced and the father of two daughters.

• sabatimus - May 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I knew a guy who was married to a woman and then decided he couldn’t live the lie anymore.

• mornelithe - May 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hopefully you two live in a State that’s recently taken the step towards equality. I hope the best for you both.

• sabatimus - May 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Orsillo’s giddiness has been there for years, and comes to the forefront at least once a week. I’m not sure how giddiness translates to gay.

• bigleagues - May 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The reaction to my comment is mind-blowing.

Either there are many New Englander’s who read HBT that wouldn’t support Orsillo coming out of the closet OR there are many people who don’t know what I’ve been told by people who would know.

So I’ll leave it at that.

• bigleagues - May 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

sabatimus, I’m not saying that heterosexual men don’t sometimes giggle and smile ear-to-ear when play fighting with another man … but certainly it’s not typical. And yes, Orsillo’s giddiness has been prominent for many years, and for just as many years (since before Orsillo ever got the Sox job) there has/had been chatter (at least in my old baseball circles) about him. Maybe Orsillo’s emulation of and open mancrush on Sean McDonough (who is Gay, but not in the open about it) has something to do with that. Maye, Maybe not.

As for giddiness and why that has any relevance? While this isn’t an attempt to make a conclusive argument, I would argue that to dismiss or pretend that certain behaviors in men (or women) for that matter doesn’t offer clues to ones sexual orientation, is, at best simple minded. For example, Anderson Cooper is not what most people would think of as being, say, flamboyant, but then, this happened…

As you had appropriately stated, sometimes as gay men living behind a lie grow more confident and anxious to be themselves as they move into middle age.

Having said all of that, the reaction here seems to suggest that I made something of an insensitive comment. I am far to the left of center on civil liberties and LGBT issues in general.

I want everyone to live their lives in peace and happiness without fear of intolerance. One way to achieve that is to have fun with stereotypes and to not live behind the iron gate of political correctness – something which I fear my fellow HBT’ers (and many others) all too often unquestioningly do.

2. cur68 - May 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Guys that age need to be careful. next thing ya know, man’s got a hernia and the other dude’s claiming victory. Being betrayed by a weak inguinal canal anit cool.

3. yanks33 - May 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

As a Yankees fan i hate the Redsox with a passion but i have to say i do like Orsillo and Remy, for some reason they make me laugh

• baseballisboring - May 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’m a Sawx fan but I have to agree about Orsillo and Remy. I’ve been watching them all my life and always liked them, but I never truly appreciated how good and entertaining they are until I got the MLB.TV package and started listening to some of these other dullards.

4. sabatimus - May 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Remy and Orsillo have been talking about a “confrontation” with Tito for some time. This was a good laugh.

5. stairwayto7 - May 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM

That was an assault!

6. aceshigh11 - May 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Orsillo and Remy are pretty great…I love it when they crack up over something and can’t stop laughing during broadcasts.

And it’s cool to see he and Francona still have a good relationship. They’re all good guys.

• mornelithe - May 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Yeah, when they lose their $hit on TV, I find it quite amusing also. Great broadcaster’s.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5081)