May 25, 2013, 9:34 AM EST
Henderson strained his right hamstring in the ninth inning last night while attempting to finish off the Brewers’ victory against the Pirates. He appeared to suffer the injury as he attempted to field a comebacker off the bat of Russell Martin, but Henderson told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he tweaked his hamstring when he pushed off the mound to make the pitch.
Henderson tried to stay in the game initially, but was pulled after he showed obvious discomfort on a warm-up throw. Francisco Rodriguez took over from there and needed just two pitches for his first save of the season and the 295th of his career.
If Henderson requires a trip to the disabled list, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said that he will likely employ a closer-by-committee in his absence. Rodriguez, Axford and even Mike Gonzalez could all be in the mix for save chances.
Henderson, 30, owns an 0.82 ERA and 23/5 K/BB ratio over 19 2/3 innings this season. He is a perfect 9-for-9 in save opportunities.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)