May 25, 2013, 9:34 AM EST
Henderson strained his right hamstring in the ninth inning last night while attempting to finish off the Brewers’ victory against the Pirates. He appeared to suffer the injury as he attempted to field a comebacker off the bat of Russell Martin, but Henderson told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he tweaked his hamstring when he pushed off the mound to make the pitch.
Henderson tried to stay in the game initially, but was pulled after he showed obvious discomfort on a warm-up throw. Francisco Rodriguez took over from there and needed just two pitches for his first save of the season and the 295th of his career.
If Henderson requires a trip to the disabled list, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said that he will likely employ a closer-by-committee in his absence. Rodriguez, Axford and even Mike Gonzalez could all be in the mix for save chances.
Henderson, 30, owns an 0.82 ERA and 23/5 K/BB ratio over 19 2/3 innings this season. He is a perfect 9-for-9 in save opportunities.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 11
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 115
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)