May 25, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Cardinals starter John Gast exited today’s start against the Dodgers after recording just three outs. Gast walked Scott Van Slyke on five pitches to lead off the second inning before being taken out of the game with shoulder tightness, tweets Jenifer Langosch. This was the third start of the 24-year-old’s young career. He had allowed six runs in 11.1 innings prior to today’s start.
Joe Kelly relieved Gast, retiring the three Dodgers he faced in the second inning. Kelly is one option to replace Gast if the injury requires a stint on the disabled list. Prospect Michael Wacha is another option. Wacha, who turns 22 on July 1, has a 2.05 ERA in 52.2 innings with Triple-A Memphis.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12