May 25, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Cardinals starter John Gast exited today’s start against the Dodgers after recording just three outs. Gast walked Scott Van Slyke on five pitches to lead off the second inning before being taken out of the game with shoulder tightness, tweets Jenifer Langosch. This was the third start of the 24-year-old’s young career. He had allowed six runs in 11.1 innings prior to today’s start.
Joe Kelly relieved Gast, retiring the three Dodgers he faced in the second inning. Kelly is one option to replace Gast if the injury requires a stint on the disabled list. Prospect Michael Wacha is another option. Wacha, who turns 22 on July 1, has a 2.05 ERA in 52.2 innings with Triple-A Memphis.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59