May 25, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Orioles have placed right-handed reliever Pedro Strop on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain. Steve Johnson has replaced him on the active roster and is available out of the bullpen for Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays.
After posting a 2.44 ERA in 70 appearances last season, Strop has really struggled so far this year, posting a 6.11 ERA with 14 walks in 17 2/3 innings. The 27-year-old walked two batters and gave up a grand slam in his most recent appearance on Thursday night.
Strop is out of options, so the Orioles would have to expose him to waivers if the wanted to send him to the minors. He would almost certainly be claimed, so this could be one of those phantom injury cases. Either way, the Orioles can now send him on a minor league rehab assignment and try to get his mechanics back on track.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 0
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 12
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)