May 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Chris Davis tore through the first couple of weeks of the season before slowing down a bit, but he’s terrorizing pitchers once again. Davis went 3-for-5 with his major-league leading 16th homer last night as the Orioles defeated the Blue Jays 10-6 in Toronto.
Davis’ solo shot in the third inning was one of four home runs on the night for Baltimore, as J.J. Hardy, Adam Jones, and Danny Valencia also went deep. The Orioles have hit at least four three homers in each of the past four games. It’s no surprise that they rank first in the majors in home runs and second in runs scored.
Davis has homered in three straight games and five out of his last seven. After enjoying a nice little breakout last season, the 27-year-old has taken things to a new level this year. He’s batting .337/.426/.723 with a 1.149 OPS through 47 games. Only Miguel Cabrera (1.154) has a higher OPS this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Marlins 3, White Sox 4 (11 innings)
Braves 5, Mets 5 (suspended after eight innings due to rain, will resume Saturday at 6:10 p.m. ET)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (71)