May 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Chris Davis tore through the first couple of weeks of the season before slowing down a bit, but he’s terrorizing pitchers once again. Davis went 3-for-5 with his major-league leading 16th homer last night as the Orioles defeated the Blue Jays 10-6 in Toronto.
Davis’ solo shot in the third inning was one of four home runs on the night for Baltimore, as J.J. Hardy, Adam Jones, and Danny Valencia also went deep. The Orioles have hit at least four three homers in each of the past four games. It’s no surprise that they rank first in the majors in home runs and second in runs scored.
Davis has homered in three straight games and five out of his last seven. After enjoying a nice little breakout last season, the 27-year-old has taken things to a new level this year. He’s batting .337/.426/.723 with a 1.149 OPS through 47 games. Only Miguel Cabrera (1.154) has a higher OPS this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Marlins 3, White Sox 4 (11 innings)
Braves 5, Mets 5 (suspended after eight innings due to rain, will resume Saturday at 6:10 p.m. ET)
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 6
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 129
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)