May 25, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
The Yankees announced this afternoon that they have claimed left-hander David Huff off waivers from the Indians. Huff was designated for assignment by Cleveland earlier this week when fellow left-hander Scott Barnes was added to the active roster.
Huff, a supplemental first-round pick of the Indians in 2006, owns a 5.40 ERA over 52 starts and six relief appearances in the majors. The 28-year-old has allowed five runs on seven hits and a walk over three innings at the big league level this year.
Huff is out of minor league options, which means that the Yankees will either have to add him to the 25-man roster or expose him to waivers. It’s unlikely that he’ll get a chance to start in New York and lefty batters have knocked him around to the tune of a .902 OPS for his career, so he’s not an ideal left-handed specialist, either.
In order to clear a spot for Huff on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated left-hander Francisco Rondon for assignment. The 25-year-old owns a 7.46 ERA in six starts and six relief appearances at the Triple-A level this year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)