May 25, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
The Yankees announced this afternoon that they have claimed left-hander David Huff off waivers from the Indians. Huff was designated for assignment by Cleveland earlier this week when fellow left-hander Scott Barnes was added to the active roster.
Huff, a supplemental first-round pick of the Indians in 2006, owns a 5.40 ERA over 52 starts and six relief appearances in the majors. The 28-year-old has allowed five runs on seven hits and a walk over three innings at the big league level this year.
Huff is out of minor league options, which means that the Yankees will either have to add him to the 25-man roster or expose him to waivers. It’s unlikely that he’ll get a chance to start in New York and lefty batters have knocked him around to the tune of a .902 OPS for his career, so he’s not an ideal left-handed specialist, either.
In order to clear a spot for Huff on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated left-hander Francisco Rondon for assignment. The 25-year-old owns a 7.46 ERA in six starts and six relief appearances at the Triple-A level this year.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)