May 25, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The Yankees announced this afternoon that they have claimed left-hander David Huff off waivers from the Indians. Huff was designated for assignment by Cleveland earlier this week when fellow left-hander Scott Barnes was added to the active roster.
Huff, a supplemental first-round pick of the Indians in 2006, owns a 5.40 ERA over 52 starts and six relief appearances in the majors. The 28-year-old has allowed five runs on seven hits and a walk over three innings at the big league level this year.
Huff is out of minor league options, which means that the Yankees will either have to add him to the 25-man roster or expose him to waivers. It’s unlikely that he’ll get a chance to start in New York and lefty batters have knocked him around to the tune of a .902 OPS for his career, so he’s not an ideal left-handed specialist, either.
In order to clear a spot for Huff on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated left-hander Francisco Rondon for assignment. The 25-year-old owns a 7.46 ERA in six starts and six relief appearances at the Triple-A level this year.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)