May 25, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
As expected, the Yankees have placed outfielder Curtis Granderson on the 15-day disabled list after he broke a knuckle on his left pinkie finger when he was hit by a pitch last night. He’s expected to miss a minimum of four weeks, which pushes his return to late June or early July.
It’s awful luck for Granderson, who just returned from a fractured forearm last week. The 32-year-old batted .250 (7-for-28) with a homer and a double in eight games prior to the injury last night. There’s still time for redemption, but this isn’t the kind of contract year he had in mind.
Brennan Boesch has been called up to replace Granderson on the roster and should split playing time with Ichiro Suzuki in right field. The 28-year-old is hitting .209 (9-for-43) with two home runs and five RBI in 20 games with the Yankees this season.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 112
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 208
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (209)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)