May 26, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
Yankees starter CC Sabathia allowed seven runs in seven innings to the Rays this afternoon, resulting in an 8-3 loss. Though the Yankees had won in Sabathia’s previous three starts, the lefty is winless in the month of May and struggled for the second start in a row. On May 20, Sabathia allowed four runs on 11 hits in 6.1 innings.
Asked what he thought the problem was, Sabathia said, “It’s just everything. Not being able to make pitches with two strikes, fastball command, location. I just need to work and make certain I can get better and try to help the team.”
Sabathia spoke in a barely audible whisper, and at times his voice seemed to shake.
Sabathia says his left elbow, surgically cleaned out in the offseason, “feels great,” and insists he has no physical problems that have caused him to lose velocity, and today, command of his fastball.
Sabathia has a 3.96 ERA on the season, but most shockingly, he has allowed 11 home runs in 72.2 innings of work. Comparatively, he allowed 22 home runs in 200 innings last year and between 17-20 in every season prior to that, ranging between 180 and 253 innings.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)