May 26, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Boland that Nunez tried to “amp it up” during a round of batting practice on Saturday and “felt a little something” after the workout. He will be shut down for a couple of days before trying to resume his rehabilitation plan.
Nunez has been on the disabled list since May 6. He was eligible to return last Tuesday but wasn’t even swinging a bat at that point.
The Yankees will continue to rely on Jayson Nix and Reid Brignac at shortstop.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)