May 26, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Boland that Nunez tried to “amp it up” during a round of batting practice on Saturday and “felt a little something” after the workout. He will be shut down for a couple of days before trying to resume his rehabilitation plan.
Nunez has been on the disabled list since May 6. He was eligible to return last Tuesday but wasn’t even swinging a bat at that point.
The Yankees will continue to rely on Jayson Nix and Reid Brignac at shortstop.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)