May 26, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Boland that Nunez tried to “amp it up” during a round of batting practice on Saturday and “felt a little something” after the workout. He will be shut down for a couple of days before trying to resume his rehabilitation plan.
Nunez has been on the disabled list since May 6. He was eligible to return last Tuesday but wasn’t even swinging a bat at that point.
The Yankees will continue to rely on Jayson Nix and Reid Brignac at shortstop.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)