May 26, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Boland that Nunez tried to “amp it up” during a round of batting practice on Saturday and “felt a little something” after the workout. He will be shut down for a couple of days before trying to resume his rehabilitation plan.
Nunez has been on the disabled list since May 6. He was eligible to return last Tuesday but wasn’t even swinging a bat at that point.
The Yankees will continue to rely on Jayson Nix and Reid Brignac at shortstop.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)