May 26, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Indians closer Chris Perez left today’s game against the Red Sox due to shoulder pain. The right-hander recorded only two outs but was on the hook for the four runs the Red Sox scored in the bottom half of the ninth inning for the walk-off 6-5 victory. Perez allowed two hits (a David Ortiz double and a Stephen Drew single) and walked three.
Joe Smith came on in relief of Perez but promptly allowed a walk-off two-run double to Jacoby Ellsbury. Despite the poor result, Smith is likely the club’s answer for an interim closer. In another time, it would have been Vinnie Pestano, but he has not had a good 2013 season thanks in part to a stark decline in velocity.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)