May 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will play in his second extended spring training game on Monday in Tampa, Florida and could embark on a minor league rehab assignment as early as Wednesday if all goes according to plan.
“I feel good. I feel healthy,” Youkilis told reporters earlier this weekend. “I feel like I’m ready.”
The 34-year-old has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 28 with what was termed a lumbar spine strain. He had a .266/.347/.422 batting line in 72 plate appearances before hitting the shelf.
If he can avoid setbacks, Youk should return to the Yankees’ lineup during the first week of June.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)