May 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will play in his second extended spring training game on Monday in Tampa, Florida and could embark on a minor league rehab assignment as early as Wednesday if all goes according to plan.
“I feel good. I feel healthy,” Youkilis told reporters earlier this weekend. ”I feel like I’m ready.”
The 34-year-old has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 28 with what was termed a lumbar spine strain. He had a .266/.347/.422 batting line in 72 plate appearances before hitting the shelf.
If he can avoid setbacks, Youk should return to the Yankees’ lineup during the first week of June.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)