May 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will play in his second extended spring training game on Monday in Tampa, Florida and could embark on a minor league rehab assignment as early as Wednesday if all goes according to plan.
“I feel good. I feel healthy,” Youkilis told reporters earlier this weekend. “I feel like I’m ready.”
The 34-year-old has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 28 with what was termed a lumbar spine strain. He had a .266/.347/.422 batting line in 72 plate appearances before hitting the shelf.
If he can avoid setbacks, Youk should return to the Yankees’ lineup during the first week of June.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)