May 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will play in his second extended spring training game on Monday in Tampa, Florida and could embark on a minor league rehab assignment as early as Wednesday if all goes according to plan.
“I feel good. I feel healthy,” Youkilis told reporters earlier this weekend. “I feel like I’m ready.”
The 34-year-old has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 28 with what was termed a lumbar spine strain. He had a .266/.347/.422 batting line in 72 plate appearances before hitting the shelf.
If he can avoid setbacks, Youk should return to the Yankees’ lineup during the first week of June.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)