May 26, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
On ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, the Braves wasted a strong effort by starter Julio Teheran and a seventh-inning, go-ahead two-run home run by Dan Uggla to fall to the Mets 4-2. The Braves ended their eight-game winning streak and in so doing, also ended the Mets’ five-game losing streak. The two teams, still, are heading in opposite directions in the NL East standings. The Braves remain 4.5 games ahead of the Nationals, 6.5 ahead of the Phillies, and 11 ahead of the Mets.
Mets starter Shaun Marcum had struggled through his first six starts of the season after returning from a neck injury in late April. He brought a 6.59 ERA into tonight’s outing, but stymied the Braves for the most part over his seven innings of work, yielding just the two runs on four hits and no walks while striking out 12. Teheran, Marcum’s counterpart, allowed one run on five hits and three walks while striking out five in 6.2 innings.
The Mets went ahead in the bottom of the eighth against Braves reliever Cory Gearrin thanks to an RBI single to left by John Buck which tied the game, and a two-run, tie-breaking single to right field by Ike Davis. Closer Bobby Parnell made short work of the Braves in the top of the ninth to nail down the victory.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)